PDA

View Full Version : Attention California Hunters!

Chocolate Lab
08-14-2000, 03:14 PM
Flocknocker considers California in the Southern portion of the Flyway so let's get busy talkin' about the upcoming season. As a new Moderator, I'd like to hear about your best day goose hunting. Here's mine....

Two years ago I was hunting the free roam section of the Sacramento Refuge with a close friend. It was about noon on a clear, windy day when we decided to pack it in. Out of the south two Snow Geese suddenly appear heading our way. My hunting partner was a new convert to the sport we love so much and therefore I was in charge of calling the shot. We hunkered down in the reeds as the unsuspecting birds flew straight towards us, no more than 20 yards off the water. At the perfect moment I cried "Take 'em". Being a much better shot than my friend, I was going to let him take the first shot and I'd bat clean up. He brought his gun up, pulled the trigger and suddenly I hear a "click" but no bang. I then hear him say "#%$^!*&". Without missing a beat, I pump 2 rounds out of my Mossberg Ulti-Mag and drop both Snows! My friend turns to me and says "I only heard one shot but you killed both geese". I fired so fast he literally thought I used one shell. Two big mature snows hit the water within two feet of each other.

What's your best day chasing the geese of the Pacific Flyway?

sprig 33
08-14-2000, 08:14 PM
Hey Choc all my best goose hunts have been in the Mississippi flyway, does that count here??

Chocolate Lab
08-15-2000, 10:05 AM
Sprig 33,

Everyone is welcome. It looks like you are now in the Golden State so tell us what happened! Any tricks that worked back East that you can share with your fellow Pacific Flyway hunters?