PDA

View Full Version : What about your local geese?

Goldeneye
08-06-2000, 01:50 PM
Hi folks,
Welcome to the Northern Atlantic Flyway Forum. Myself and Greenhorn were commenting on the high numbers of local geese in the area this year. What does it look like in your areas? Remember to visit this flyway page frequently (daily-hehe) to see what's going on in your neck of the woods, and to share your thoughts. Let's make Flocknocker proud of these flyway forums so they don't disappear!

Thanks for visiting
Goldeneye

greenhorn
08-06-2000, 02:26 PM
as I said before looking real good here on the PA, OH and WV state line, I live in Ohio this will be my first real year of goose hunting , just got into waterfowl hunting last year. So I'm just starting my collection of calls and decoys I only have 2 doz. at present time hoping to have more before the early season starts here in OH. onthe first of Sept. Still trying to find private farms to hunt didn't think I would have much trouble with finding them since they (geese) cause so much damage and mess (dropings), but most farmers around here have thier land heavily posted and others who i have asked don't have fields to hunt, mostly wood lots. But I still have a few weeks maybe I will get lucky.

------------------
later have agood one

[This message has been edited by greenhorn (edited 08-06-2000).]

Goldeneye
08-06-2000, 03:51 PM
Greenhorn
If you have a hard time getting permission from private landowners, try some of the public lands around. One area you might try is Mosquito Lake in Trumball County. I do some of my duck hunting there from a boat blind. I also include in my dekes some Flambeau Floating Goose Dekes, and they bring 'em in with minimal calling. There is a public boat launch on the causeway that crosses the lake. This causeway is Rt.88, and the boat launch is on the east end of Rt.88. One good thing about Mosquito Lake, is the Mosquito Creek Refuge is just to the north, and you can catch the birds on their way to feed from the refuge.

Anyone else have any good public hunts in western PA, W. VA., or eastern Ohio. Let us know.

Goldeneye

goosejuicer
08-07-2000, 05:28 AM
There is plenty of geese around here. It seems any standing water has waterfowl in it. Not to mention the birds that live in the GTA(Greater Toronto Area). The problem will continue to be getting hunting locations as opposed to numbers of birds!!

Goldeneye
08-07-2000, 01:34 PM
Goosejuicer,

It's great to hear your birds are plenty. That means they'll be mine when they finally head south-HEHEHE. What are the public hunting groudns lilke in your neck of the woods?

goosejuicer
08-07-2000, 03:34 PM
Goldeneye, I don't go to public places much. I don't like crowds! We have some good spots, Hullet Marsh being one of them. We do most of our hunting in farmer's fields where we get permission - which is diificult to obtain far too often. What are the public places like where you hunt?

Goldeneye
08-07-2000, 03:48 PM
We go to a private farm on opening day, because every "fairweather" hunter and his brother goes to public lands on opening day. But after that, most of the public lands are wide open. One place we hunt is Mosquito Lake, which is alot of open water. We hunt from a boat blind and use Flambeau Goose Floaters and Flambeau shells on the dry point behind where we set up. It seems to work nicely.

We are seeing alot of local geese this year as I said before. I think this might be a banner year.

Don't forget to check "youor" flyway forum along with the main page. We need to keep these specialized forums going. Thanks for the visit.

Goldeneye

gander316
08-08-2000, 03:42 PM
It's lookin' real good here in NW Pa. We had a real good hatch this year. I've been scoutin' and been real happy with the amount of geese I've been seein'. The only problem we got is that most of the farmers planted alot of corn that ain't gonna be picked until the end of Sept. so, we been lookin' for potato's and frash cut hay.

------------------
CUT'EM BOYS!!!!
Gander.

Goldeneye
08-08-2000, 07:44 PM
Gander,
How far are you from the Ohio border- northern end? Also i had a question for you reference your Pymatuning post in the north-Atlantic flyway forum so check it out, you sparked my interest!

Thanks
Goldeneye