PDA

View Full Version : Well here is your spot to spread the BullShit, hehe

Flocknocker
08-20-2000, 11:33 AM
Well lets hear all the stories about them hunts. Come on you can tell one from last year to get you warmed up. I have a feeling I am going to need some higher boots, hehehe.

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

Blackduck
08-20-2000, 12:24 PM
Alright, I'll start. But first, nice title to this post Cliff.

Here goes. Last year, on the last day of the season, it was cold and rainy and I was sitting in a hedgerow waiting for a passing shot at geese. No call, no dekes, no dog, and one shell to get my limit of one goose. Well a few family groups and pairs and singles were trading around, but none in range. I was waiting for a close shot too. Suddenly I heard this awful racket and about 10,000 canadas lifted off the roost pond about a half mile away. They circled several times, and then made a bee-line towards me. On and on they came. They were maybe 30 yards high and as they got closer I knew they couldn't avoid me because the flock was just too wide to skirt me to either side, and I doubted they would all have the sense to go straight up. As they came closer I saw a neon pink neck collar. I watched that bird and tuned all the other birds out, even the ones right around him. As he crossed over, I pulled ahead of him and let the steel fly. He crumpled. I watched him fall, like in slow motion. Then I came out of my trance and saw the amazing sight and heard the amazing sound of so many geese trying to get away. After the flock left me, I looked back at my prize bird. Then I noticed the 27 other geese on the ground. 19 of the 27 also had collars(red, blue, green, black, white, orange, and yellow) and all of the rest except one had leg bands. Like I said, I had really tuned out all the birds except my pink collar. I was estatic as I gathered my birds up. I was headed home, when I saw a GW(game warden) coming from the other way. I just happened to be approaching a bridge, so I floored it to the center of the bridge, parked, jumped out, and started pitching geese in a flurry of feathers and never to be retreived bands. I barely had em gone in time to avoid his detection. He stopped when he got there, looked me and my truck and gear over, and then left telling me he was glad I got my goose on the last day. I sighed, thinking that he didn't know the half of it, and then look to see which collar I had kept. My jaw dropped. I had pitched all the collars. I quickly rolled the bird over to make sure it had a legger, but it didn't! I sat there and cried for at least three hours, not even looking up when the occasional car drove by. It was the worst day of my life. I was so close to throwing myself off that bridge I just can't even tell ya, but then the bright thought came along that I could always make up for it this year. So, with that pitiful reason to go on with life, I drove home and cried myself to sleep. And that's the truth.

THE END

[This message has been edited by Blackduck (edited 08-20-2000).]

limey
08-26-2000, 04:57 AM
You poor lad,thats a lot of birds with one shell.I remember a bloke i go with sometimes shot eight Greylags with three shots from his BPS ten and he had to carry them all on his own Ha!