PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Drunken Red Beans

Cut-um
02-24-2001, 04:37 AM
Drunken Red Beans...

1 lb. Red Kidney Beans (soaked over night)
1 Onion
1/2 Green Bell Pepper
2 cloves Garlic
2 stalks of Celery
3 Green Onions (tops too)
1/2 teaspoon of dried mint
1 tablespoon dried parsley (fresh if you have it)
3 Bay Leaves
1/2 stick of butter (no fake stuff)
8 cups Water (add more if necessary)
1/2 lb. Tasso (1"cubes)
1 lb. Smoked Sausage or Anduille
2 bottles of your favorite wine

(salt, tabasco, cayanne , black pepper- to taste- use all of them)

If you don't have about 6-8 hours to cook this then forget it.... It won't come out right and you'll blame me. If you do have the time, then open a bottle of wine and let's get started. First, pour a big glass of wine (for drinking) and then take the onion, bell pepper and celery and saute' till clear. Add garlic and Tasso, saute' for a few more minutes. Don't over cook the garlic... Don't worry about the tasso, I don't think anything will hurt it, shy of a nuclear blast... Add red beans, water, Bay Leaves and cover, let simmer for a few hours on low heat. Stir constantly as needed. If it sticks and burns, you might as well throw it out. If your still doing OK, then open another bottle of wine and drink some more. When the beans thicken, add the butter, mint, parsley, green onions and sausage. At this point I like to smash the tasso cubes so they break up. Cook for another hour. Add water to get the right consistency while you cook. Your red beans should come out thick and creamy, If not, cook'em some more. Add final seasonings to taste. I like to cook them a day in advance and refridgerate them overnight, then add the final seasonings, cook a while longer and then serve. The extra time lets the flavors melt together and you get time to get over your hang over....

Serve over rice with a big hunk of corn bread. This is some good stuff !!! http://64.176.94.12/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Cut-um (edited 02-24-2001).]

goosejuicer
02-24-2001, 05:11 PM
Sounds great...but what is tasso?

Cut-um
02-25-2001, 04:42 AM
Tasso is smoked seasoned ham usually about an inch thick. Guess it's a Southern thing... Cubed ham could be substituted instead of Tasso but throw it in with the sausage or it will over cook and fall apart.