PDA

View Full Version : Nutria !!!

Cut-um
10-11-2001, 03:57 PM
Since Greg wanted to try Nutria so much I thought I'd post a few recipes for him. :p I haven't tried them yet but they look pretty good. ;) I'd give proper credit but I can't remember where I found them.

Deep-Fried Nutria

Ingredients:
young (2-3lbs) nutria cut into frying-size pieces
salt, black pepper or other favorite seasoning, flour
pepper sauce, mustard, Worcestershire or other favorite sauce to splash on before coating

Preparation:
Soak pieces in your favorite sauce for ten minutes (or in the refrigerator over night if you want more seasoning). Note that this is optional as the nutria is good without being highly seasoned.
Lightly sprinkle meat with salt/black pepper or other favorite seasoning, then coat with flour.
Fry in hot oil until golden brown.

Nutria Gumbo

Ingredients:
3 lbs of nutria pieces
1 stick margarine
4 tablespoons flour
½ cup cooking oil
1 chopped onion
2 sticks chopped celery
1 chopped bell pepper
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
salt/black pepper or favorite seasoning

Preparation:
Season nutria with salt/pepper or favorite seasoning and brown in Dutch oven with cooking oil.
Remove nutria and add margarine and flour to drippings in Dutch oven and make a brown roux.
Stir chopped vegetables into roux, cut heat off and continue stirring until simmering stops.
Add nutria back to pot, add Worcestershire sauce and 3 quarts cold water.
Cook until meat is tender (for lagniappe, add a cup of fresh chopped okra and a pint of raw oysters)
Serve over rice and top with chopped parsley, onion tops and file'

Nutria Sauce Piquant

Ingredients:
10 lbs nutria pieces
3 cans tomato sauce
2 lbs chopped onions
2 heads garlic
4 stalks chopped celery
2 chopped bell peppers
cooking oil
2 tablespoons flour
salt/black pepper or favorite seasoning

Preparation:
Season nutria with salt/black pepper or other favorite seasoning and brown until tender in Dutch oven with 1/8 inch cooking oil covering the bottom. Add water from time to time to prevent sticking.
Make a small roux in another pot (or discard the drippings from the Dutch oven and reuse for the roux) using the 4 tablespoons of flour.
Stir onions into the roux, then bell peppers, garlic and celery; add tomato sauce and extra water if it becomes too thick and simmer until vegetables are tender.
Add nutria and enough water to cover ingredients and simmer until the oil comes to the top.
Serve over rice.

Greg Keats
10-11-2001, 09:23 PM
I think I'll pass on the fried rat. I will however eat some pickled quail eggs with Habenero peppers.

Cut-um
10-11-2001, 09:46 PM
I hope your not talking about that jar of pickled goat eyes I sent by mistake...hehehe :eek:

Greg Keats
10-14-2001, 08:57 PM
Goat eyes? You are eating the first one!

Flocknocker
10-18-2001, 10:35 AM
Damn Rich!!!! Bubba he sure do eat some funny shit, hehehehe. I was on the phone with him the other day and he slipped and said he had a Nutria on the grill. He must burn the hair off first before he eats them.

Face it the boy eats some wild stuff. Glad we are a bit more civilized out West, BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA... :eek: :eek:

daryn-ID
10-18-2001, 11:57 AM
What the hell is nutria. i hate to sound stupid, but you all act like its a common thing. Just checking.

Daryn

GP101
10-18-2001, 11:57 AM
ive shot nutrias before but i never thought of eating one before. Where i come from its corn bread and chicken!!! :D

"ahoooooooo pit ding"

Honk Em

GP101
10-18-2001, 11:59 AM
daryn

there like a large rat thing that swim in the water they are dark brown and they just look ugly

Cut-um
10-18-2001, 07:33 PM
Yea Cliff, one day he'll come out of the nutria closet. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bwaaahahahahahahahaha !!! :D

Daryn, this is what they look like...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1446311&a=12564886&p=49780153

Tim Bates
10-30-2001, 11:50 AM
Damn looks like some good eats there. Get ma to cook me up some nutria n' viddles.

"Nothin betta than a varmit on the grill"

ganderman
11-07-2001, 10:23 PM
Hell, probably more meat on them than the Bumblebee!!!

ganderman

P.S. Hey Rich, did Greg eat the "jumbalaya" in Manitoba?