3 stalks of celery
6 seeded chopped jalapenos
2 bay leaves
1 cup green onions
Ĺ cup parsley
1 cup flour
1 cup bacon fat or oil
salt, Flock Finisher, cayenne, Tabasco, Lea & Perrins to taste before serving

First make a roux with the bacon fat and the flour. This is the most important part of the gumbo and takes time. Itís also the most difficult because itís time consuming and tedious. To make a roux, heat bacon fat in a large stockpot on low to medium heat and add flour slowly. Stir constantly, I mean CONSTANTLY!!!, until the color of dark chocolate. If the flour burns, throw it out and start over. This is going to take time, about an hour or three beers. Thatís why some people call it a ďthree beer rouxĒ. The kitchen will smoke up a little but thatís ok just open the window. Youíre browning the flour. Just donít burn it!!! The whole idea of browning the flour is to give it a bitter nutty flavor.

Remove roux from heat and add the chopped onions, bell pepper, and celery to the hot roux. Itís kinda scary but continue to stir. Place the roux/vegetable mixture back on the fire and cook for five minutes on low heat. Add chicken stock slowly stirring so the roux doesnít lump. Add duck or goose meat, some people like to brown the meat before adding it but I think itís an unnecessary step. Add bay leaves, jalapenos, and wine and add water to cover meat. Simmer uncovered on low heat till the meat just starts to fall off the bones. Add water as necessary but you want somewhat thick gravy. Add the sausage, green onions and parsley and cook for another 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt, cayenne, Tabasco, Lea & Perrins and Flock Finisher (Hey Cliff, how do you like the spamÖheheÖ). Cook for another 10 minutes and check seasoning. Serve over steamed rice with hot French Bread. Me personally, I like corn bread !!!

This is the basics and you can put anything in a gumbo that you feel like. I save the gizzards and toss them in with some Tasso (smoked seasoned ham). Hell, Iíll even go so far as tossing oysters in the last few minutes of cooking. If you do this, throw in the oyster water. If you like more onions then add them. Hell, what ever makes you happy!!! Donít let the roux fool you; itís not that hard. Just remember to stir constantlyÖ Hope you enjoy it!!! :TT:

Cut-um
11-20-2002, 01:50 PM
Here ya go "grnhed"...:CU:

goose me TX
11-21-2002, 06:24 AM
Exactly what kind of wine do you use Rich? It sounds REALLY good! Now if only I had some goose breasts......:CL: :wak:

Cut-um
11-21-2002, 01:49 PM
Use what ever you like to drink cause you have to do something with the rest of the bottle.:VC: :uh: :VC: I think I'd pass on the peachy girly wine that Cliff likes so much....:rof::OM: :rof:

goose me TX
11-21-2002, 02:04 PM
hey now...don't be doggin the peachy wine...its some good stuff! :CU: :Cop:

You are sending me some breasts right?:MS: :MS: :MS:

Cut-um
11-21-2002, 02:12 PM
Only if you send some to me...:h20: Bwaaahahahhaahaaa!!!:rof:

goose me TX
11-21-2002, 02:17 PM
Wait a minute now...let me get this straight....YOU want ME to send you some breasts first??????? Just what are you talking about????????? I was talking about something to eat......:ST: :rof: :JW: :uh: :uh:

Cut-um
11-21-2002, 02:20 PM
Me too...:h20: :rf: :h20:

goose me TX
11-21-2002, 02:29 PM
why doesn't this recipe call for any okra?????????:confused: BS: :confused:

Cut-um
11-22-2002, 06:06 PM
Okra is generally used in seafood gumbo and I've never seen it in a meat gumbo.:NW: I suppose it's a matter of taste...:wk:

DUCKDIGGLER
08-25-2005, 03:18 AM
TTT

DUCKDIGGLER
05-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Yeah Buddy!:uh:

lost goose
12-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Just made me a bowl from this recipe. Very tasy! I used a combo of ducks and a goose breast. Here's some changes I may make next time.

If your rough gets too thick, just dabble in some veg. oil a cap full at a time (worked great for me).

Feel free to add more veggies if you really like that kinda thing, personally I added shirmp. Just not many veggies when it was all said and done.

If using breast, tenderize the cuttlets before cooking. can speed up cooking time a little.

Cut-em,
Thanks for this, very good. The whole family enjoyed. :TT:

Cut-um
12-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Very cool Chris, glad you liked it...:TT: As I tell everyone, this is just a starting point in making Gumbo and to make changes as you see fit. Everyone has their way of doing it and that's what makes so it unique to the cook. Funny part is I've hunted with the same ten guys for too many years and they can tell who cooked the Gumbo or Jumbalaya without seeing who did it.:rf:

Bottom line, don't be scared of the roux, throw in the trinity, some other spices and what ever meat or seafood you have available. Your imagination will only make it a better Gumbo...:TT:

And yes, Gumbo doesn't have to have Okra in it if you don't want it...:hest:

My oppinion, good Louisiana Oysters should be part of any Gumbo...:TT: