PDA

View Full Version : Flapper Decoy from A Shell...

Trigger
11-06-2002, 07:46 AM
Guys..
I want to add a flapper decoy to the spread, and don't have the money for the Higdon, or the Saunders.. I mostly use G&H Mag Sells.. Has anyone taken a shell decoy, added a wooden base and them cut the wing section out of another shell to put over the first one to add wings. I would like to connect them with hindges and use a pull string, similar to the sauners hook-up.

If it works. I was thinking of adding a windshield motor inside the wooden base and add a push rod off the bolt to activate the wing motion. I have the motor and the parts.. just can't bring myself around to cutting up two good decoys without some re-assurance that I haven't lost my marbles..

Thanks to all who have read this.

Trigger.
:rolleyes:

Flipper
11-06-2002, 05:59 PM
Ask one of your hunting buddies if you can borrow a couple of their decoy's and cut them! Then show us the picks!:D

kygoose
11-06-2002, 06:27 PM
You haven't lost your marbles, cut em up. If it works I'll try it.:)

JeffK-MN
11-08-2002, 04:31 AM
I made some out of some little flags I just drilled holes so I put the flags is for the wings and the wind did the rest. It works great as long as the wind is not to hard. But some times the geese come in right away with the flags blowing like mad Good Luck Jeff

Flipper
11-08-2002, 04:32 PM
Trigger, what you might try is some coroplast(looks like plastic cardboard)that you can find all over the place free. Old signs from the election or at a filling station when they change they throw the old away. Clean it with rubbing alcohol and then go to the hardware store and get some plummers Goop(Goop is a thick contact cement)and glue it to the inside of the shell to cover the hole where you cut the wing out and paint it up.

LongNeckSlayer
01-28-2003, 06:17 PM
I did what you are talking about last summer. but I used a full body....what a pain:CL: hehe I used a mag shell for the wings and a persuader because they were older decoys.... I've got a few pics to share...

LongNeckSlayer
01-28-2003, 06:18 PM
It has internal linkage to control the wings.

LongNeckSlayer
01-28-2003, 06:20 PM
I didn't get to use it this year but with some fine tuning I think it will work pretty well..

LongNeckSlayer
01-28-2003, 06:22 PM
Last one.... The belly hole will be pluged when finished. I understand why Bill gets what he does for price....It is not EZ:HP:

Love to hunt
01-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Great job Longneck!! I sent you a PM...

Flipper
01-28-2003, 08:02 PM
Very nice, would you post some drawings of the internal set-up for the linkage for us, or is it a secret? Thanks for posting the picks for everyone.:Rich:

Skeet in NZ
01-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Long Neck they are excellant. That is what I wanted to see. What did you use for hinges? If you should be sending some plans via email could you add me to the list please.

Thanks

Rob

chcltlabz
01-29-2003, 05:02 AM
I'd like to be added to that list also if you have to send them by email.

The dekes look great, much more natural than the spinnng wing motion decoys.

twells
01-31-2003, 10:18 AM
i would also love to recieve some instructions and a material list if ya don't mind? thanks man and good work!!

thomas wells

twellsz28@hotmail.com

Flipper
01-31-2003, 11:26 AM
If we can get the drawing I can scan it and post it for everyone or if you have a picture I can post that as well.:Rich:

LongNeckSlayer
01-31-2003, 06:35 PM
As soon as I get something drawn up I'd be glad to post it. It might be difficult for the average guy to do, only because I have access to cnc lathes and mills and that is what I used to make the linkages.
I've just started redoing it....my plans are for compressed air activated wings. :VC: I've got it mostly drawn out just need to start building the components..:TT:

LNS

honker slayer
02-06-2003, 03:36 PM
Hey long neck, i'd like to see a set of plans for your goose to. I have access to mills and lathes to use so i think I could build one to.

goose57
02-06-2003, 09:26 PM
please add me to the list
thanks...Ron

VTblackfoot
02-08-2003, 01:33 PM
OOOOO!! me too! me too! put me on the list too:Art:

Trigger
02-13-2003, 10:06 AM
Ron. Flipper.. Guys..

Thanks.. Decoy is going on the bench this winter for some seriouis surgery...

Ron. If you get some diagrams put together. I would also send them to Cliff. They should be made available to all members.. I know Bill is a great guy and makes a great product... God I wish I could buy it and be done, but money is always an issue.

God bless and take care.

Trigger