PDA

View Full Version : Q?? for Flipper on repainting Shells

Trigger
12-04-2002, 01:28 AM
I have a dozen super mag Carrylight shells that I bought and want to re-paint them following the description you provided earlyer for the Bigfoots.. I need to know if I would be further ahead overcoating the complete shell in light grey and then work from the center down with the tan, then the center of the feather detail with the chocolate brown. The Carrylight shells have a good raised feather detail to follow, but are painted tan fronts, with brown and tan wings...
Also has anyone had any luck getting the paint to stick to these shells. I've heard that using automotive plastic bumper paint/primer will work, but looking for confirmed results before I venture into the unknown..I was attempting to paint the shells over to match up with my G& H which have grey fronts and a pretty good paint finish..
Thanks for any advise

Trigger:up:

Flipper
12-04-2002, 03:54 AM
I would stay away from a light color on the back and wings for a base. Just use a dark gray and shade the back and wings and then shade the breast with a light gray. Then paint them like the foots. If the paint is falling off take one to a body shop and ask them if they would put some primer on one to try when they are doing another plastic piece.:Rich:

Flipper
12-05-2002, 05:07 AM
Another thing, if they just need touched up you might try a large brush with a gray on the back and stipple with the end of the bristles or a sponge and blend in the scuffed areas with the rest of the area. You might even change the base color like this and then after you detail it out with the light tan and the brown it will hide any repairs and look great. If I didn't help let me know and I will try and explane a little better.:Rich:

Trigger
12-07-2002, 06:12 AM
Flipper

Thanks for the advise.I'll try just touching up a few decoys and see how it turns out. I'll probably be better off keeping the existing paint where it is and hope it doesn't react with the new paint.

Thanks again

Trigger

flatliner
12-27-2002, 07:23 PM
Hi trigger,

I have old school one piece shells from flambeau. I want to re-do them this spring. I wanted to know if you tried any touch up on the ones you have. Let me know good/bad advice on paint type and what helped to keep the paint on.
Where did you get the colors from?

thanks,

anthony