PDA

View Full Version : Hail Call to GW-SMITH

2Hnker
12-27-2002, 12:37 AM
Hey Im gonna be hunting Lake Matamuskeet(sp) for a week the first of January. Do you know much about it? Can you kill geese in that area? Never hunted NC but Im sure lookin forward to it. Your not missing much here in Illinois. I was in Champaign last weekend for a concert and I didnt see that many geese around. Its not lookin good for us So.IL boys since we have about 6 inches of snow and Chicago has none!

gw-smith
12-27-2002, 08:43 PM
Yeah - from what I here the geese are still stacked up in Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin - most of my reports indicate a slow goose season thus far for people in central and southern Illinois.

Lake Mattamuskeet is a good area for duck hunting. The lake itself is very large but is a refuge (except for a few state controlled public draw blinds) however there are literally hundreds of impoundments (primarily flooded grain fields) surrounding the lake that are hunted. Most of these impoundments are privately owned and many serious duck hunters here in North Carolina belong to some "duck club" (impoundment) around the Mattamuskeet area. There are some clubs in the area that sell day hunts however.

Lake Mattamuskeet is also well known for swan hunting but you have to have a permit and they have all been given out for this season.

As far as goose hunting goes you're SOL. There is no goose season (except for an early nuisance season) for Canada geese in that part of the state. They are trying to reestablish the Eastern shore of North Carolina on the traditional migration patterns of the Atlantic Flyway Canada geese and don't allow any hunting of them (sort of like Maryland was for several years). We can shoot Canada's over here in the central part of the state but not near Mattamuskeet.

Your best bet for hunting that area is to hook up with a guide or a buddy that knows the area. This is my first season down here but I'm working on learning!! Hope things improve in Illinois.

2Hnker
12-27-2002, 10:33 PM
We are hunting a 5000 acre private impoundment. I met the guy that owns it this summer at Camp Woodie and he invited a few of us down. Im lookin forward to seeing some new scenary

gw-smith
12-28-2002, 01:37 PM
Good luck buddy - should be pretty good hunting this time of year down there. Our migration is really starting to show up real nicely now.