PDA

View Full Version : Ticks! What meds do you use?

chcltlabz
01-03-2003, 02:07 PM
I recently moved from Georgia to Maryland and was hoping that I would leave the tick infestations behind. I've used several different tick medicines, and still I constantly find ticks on my labs.

What medications do you use to prevent these nasty little critters?

For now, I'm just keeping up the Lyme disease vaccine, and checking for the creepy little blood balloons after every hunt.

:tu:

Any suggestions?

Gary Crafton
01-04-2003, 06:49 AM
Here in ky frontline is probaly the best thing going that i have found , Not sure it's available up there if you need a name where to get it e-mail me.

goose me TX
01-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Frontline is the product to use, not only does it kill ticks but it also kills fleas. Its a lot safer then anything you can get over the counter like at Walmart or somewhere else.

chcltlabz
01-06-2003, 07:16 AM
I've been using frontline once a month, and I still find ticks. Not sure why, because I've heard great things about it, but it doesn't get my vote.

Gundog
01-07-2003, 11:56 AM
I hunt my Lewellin on Cape Cod and it's tick heaven! We spray the dogs before every trip with Adams or Zodiac permethrin based tick spray and it works to both repel ticks and kill those that do get on the dog. It is still important to check the dog after every trip because nothing works 100%.

yallerlab
01-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Chclabz, are the ticks attached? My wife works for a
vet and they say that it kills the ticks usually before they
can attach. So you will find them, but they shouldn't dig-in.
You will have to be diligent in applying it
monthly if you wash your dog or swim it alot. Also,
keep the dog dry for 48 hours before and 48 hours after
application to maximize it's effectiveness.:TT:

chcltlabz
01-07-2003, 02:53 PM
The ticks are attached, and are feeding. I do find a few dead, but I still find ones that are alive and kicking. I've even tried to supplement my monthly meds with the zodiac spray. That seems to help, but I still occaisonally find a few ticks. I even found one while I was still down in GA that was the size of a nickel! Not exagerating. They have got to be the fowlest creature out there.

yallerlab
01-07-2003, 05:50 PM
I dunno, bud. I'll ask and see what else is out there.
There are other products, but I don't know offhand what
they are. I guess it's just another example of no one
product working in all situations. As to the nickel sized ticks,
I believe you...I've seen them on farm dawgs where
nobody bothers to check them.

widgnwhacker
01-29-2003, 06:30 PM
FRONTLINE PLUS !!!!

WW

jason connellee
02-04-2003, 08:54 AM
I use frontline. Swear by it. Also, I spray my yard for flea and tick's. I cut down all the briars and brush thats along my yard. Just trees now. Tick infestation went down 90%

Jason

DOGDOC
03-01-2003, 09:58 PM
This is my first reply so i'll make it short.
Lots of stuff that was said seems true enough. Fronline does work well for most situations, however it is not 100%, nor is it cheap. Ticks will feed with it on, but should die shortly after (it was thought that Lyme Dz could not be transmitted if the tick was feeding for less then 48 hours, this is not true!). If this is not your experience, you might try "Kiltix". This product often works if others don't (less $ also). DONT get it on the cat!! Also, good point about the not buying products from K-mart... I have seen lots of dogs seizure from those products, not worth it!

dukdog7
03-03-2003, 10:10 AM
I agree with the DOC on this one, NO K-Mart!! I use frontline but it is a bit pricey. I will look for the Kiltix. Always looking to save the clients a few bucks where I can. But I don't want to take chances with this.

DukDog

DrBob
03-03-2003, 07:13 PM
I HATE any creatures that eat personal property or drink bodily fluids. This includes gnats, skeeters, black flies, bed bugs, termites, carpenter ants, fleas, deerflies, horseflies, scabies, AND MOST OF ALL - ticks! I know, I know - this post was of no use to anybody except, you now know I share your despise for ticks!:TT:

chcltlabz
03-04-2003, 02:12 PM
I've found it!:GM:

The best tick preventative I've found yet. Bury those little bastards under 3 feet of snow and ice. My lab hasn't had a tick in months.:LOL:

Other than that, I haven't found anything that works all the time. I've used Frontline and sprayed him down with Zodiac before every hunt. I still find ticks:CL:

Maybe I'll give that Killtix a try.

I agree with not buying the cheap flea and tick remedies (not just K mart, they carry the same stuff everywhere). A friend of mine was hours away from losing his lap dog to pesticide poisoning because of cheap flea medicine. Luckily, the vet's WIFE helped him out in the middle of the night. The vet was at some convention, and she answered the phone call, and had her husband on the other line. He told her to get the dog in right away, and even talked her through saving the dog's life over the phone. That's service!

kodiakhunter
03-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Frontline or Frontline Plus

DOGDOC
03-04-2003, 03:17 PM
Sometimes the wife is more helpful then the husband!

DOGDOC
03-04-2003, 03:20 PM
"Advantix" is the new line of tick stuff, it is replacing the "kiltix" which worked real well, ask your vets about it ( however, is not cheaper). I am not a salesman, but if it works...