PDA

View Full Version : Last weekend of duck season

cself02
01-06-2003, 10:47 AM
My brothers came up from Il and we came out with 35 green heads and some various others. I got me a banded one as well.

Jason in KC
01-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Was that the last week in MO? Congrats on a great hunt and the band!

cself02
01-06-2003, 11:23 AM
Yeah it was down at Four Rivers Conservation area. We could of just kept killing them all day it was un real.

Jason in KC
01-06-2003, 12:03 PM
Never hunted down at 4 rivers. I used to hunt Fountain Grove quite a bit. I've stuck to Iowa and Kansas the past few years.

cself02
01-06-2003, 12:42 PM
I've been hunting down there for about the last 3-4 years and I have always killed ducks down there, it is a great place to hunt as long as you draw out ok. There are some walk in area's that are really good if there is enough water in them. If you want next season we could give it a shot.

beefwelu
01-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Can't beat that hunt for the last weekend of the season. Way to hammer em boys.

DC
01-06-2003, 03:17 PM
cself02...

we'll have to hook up next winter. I've hunted 4 rivers a few times and killed out every time. I was headed there on the closing two days and ended up at Schell Osage instead...

cself02
01-07-2003, 07:13 AM
Yeah we will have to do that. I don't think I have ever had a bad hunt down there.

Jason in KC
01-07-2003, 08:39 AM
Let's plan on that. I'll put in for a reservation for late Dec. next year. I'll have 2 layouts to hunt from.

cself02
01-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Sound like a plan I will do the same, Don't have a layout boat yet but I am planning to get one sooner or later.

DC
01-07-2003, 04:11 PM
I have a layout... I built it this season...

I might be interested in selling it cself... let me know if you have any interest at all. It is a 14' KARA style boat.

We'll have to set something up. I will put in also, but the best thing to do is just show up during the week and hunt. Usually not too crowded during the week in my experience!

cself02
01-08-2003, 06:19 AM
Yeah I would be interested in the boat, Let me know the details, maybe a pic if you have one. I just work in Independance so maybe I could come take a look at it after work one day.

We can do the week thing I have a crap load of vacation for this year and I am off every friday with my 4X10 work weeks, works out great for hunting, When we went though in the end of the season there wasn't but maybe 13 parties total, I had the luck and drew under five all three days. Doesn't happen to often though. 4 Rivers has some good early season hunting as well if you ever want to go, I know the area hot spots just don't have anyone to hunt with down there,

see ya,

DC
01-08-2003, 07:17 AM
send me your home email to: shanet@iland.net and I'll get you a picture of the boat and the details...

We'll hook up next fall. I'm the head fb coach here, so I can't hunt until after the season, but once it is over, I'm hunting!!!

cself02
01-08-2003, 07:44 AM
I sent you an email.

Jason in KC
01-08-2003, 10:05 AM
I might be selling a few layouts this summer. I currently have a 14' kara hummer and a 12' modified kara hummer. My dad and I will be building at least 2 more boats this summer.

cself02
01-08-2003, 10:16 AM
sweet, How easy is it to hunt a dog out of one of those?

Jason in KC
01-08-2003, 10:40 AM
Depends on the dog. My buddy has a 14' and his dog lays down next to his left leg. Then he puts the cover over his dog and legs with a hole for the dogs head to stick out of. His dog isn't hyper at all and will not break on the shot.

Other's put their dogs behind them on the back deck. I've seen and hunted with a few dogs that aren't that well behaved and will flare birds that way.

My dad is building a new kara for his new pup this summer. He'll be putting a platform near his left shoulder so he can keep his hand on her.

cself02
01-08-2003, 10:49 AM
cool I am sure I could figure out something the cover thing would probably work my dog stay's really still except for moving her head a tad to watch the incoming birds, so that would most likely work, Time will tell I suppose, she does really good out of a john boat anyway. Well I am going to go hit the golf coarse and see how many geese I can hit with my golf balls and beer cans , he he, Can't believe how warm it is.