PDA

View Full Version : Crock-Pot Goose

BeenGoosed2
01-07-2003, 04:06 PM
I have had a couple of people ask me about this recipe, so here is. By far, this is the easiest way to cook goose and get the game flavor out. Take a goose breast or two, throw in a crock pot. cover with brewed coffee --- yes, I said brewed coffee. Throw in some onion, garlic, and beef boullion, then slow cook all day long.

Make mashed potatoes and brown gravy, and it turns out to be just like a roast beef dinner!

bigfoot150
01-21-2003, 12:29 PM
that sounds really good. Last night I made some crock pot goose. I slow cooked two breasts all day in water and lipton's onion soup mix. I then shredded the meat and mixed bbq sauce into it. This was delicious and tasted just like roast beef as well! Try this one!

puddlehunter
09-01-2005, 07:07 AM
TTT Absolutely!
BG2's coffee pot goose recipe is top shelf. I've been cooking them that way ever since he first put it on the board.

The Baron of Bufflehead
09-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Hmmmm... my first trip to the recipe forum (I don't like to cook). Wow - there's some good stuff in here. This coffee 'n' goose trick sounds like it's worth a try.:Rich:

DUCKDIGGLER
09-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Baron....no doubt this is an awesome way to eat the flying roast beefs!!:uh:

Ummm...Ummm....Good!:TT:

BlueDevil
09-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by BeenGoosed2
I have had a couple of people ask me about this recipe, so here is. By far, this is the easiest way to cook goose and get the game flavor out. Take a goose breast or two, throw in a crock pot. cover with brewed coffee --- yes, I said brewed coffee. Throw in some onion, garlic, and beef boullion, then slow cook all day long.

Make mashed potatoes and brown gravy, and it turns out to be just like a roast beef dinner!

Interesting recipe, I'm gonna have to try that one out.

duckpoor
10-17-2005, 07:46 AM
Well just in case you have been on the fence on this one..

Give it try.. Now My Mrs can make a cardboard box taste good so I wasn't looking for something to make them worth eating.. No Sir.. No way..

Goose is about my Fav.. But this one is just about as good as it gets..
Pot Roast ..yea thats the ticket .. And it smells up the house Wonderful!!

R Green

jbaran
10-19-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm sorry guys but I think I'm gonna PUKE!I love any kind of crock pot goose and I love coffee but the thought of goose breasts simmering in my coffee just sounds nasty. But you know what, I'm gonna try it anyways.

DUCKDIGGLER
10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Jay...you will not be disappointed with the recipe!! Thats from a certified fat man!! MMmmmmm Good!!:uh:

optimator
10-22-2005, 11:26 PM
I finally had to try this myself. UN FREAKIN' BELIEVABLE:TT: :pl:

keith_scumline
10-23-2005, 04:43 PM
I had some of that duckpoor's wife fixed. Let me tell ya - FINE ...

By the way DP - don't let her get away... She CAN cook ...

DUCKDIGGLER
10-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Whipped up a batch yesterday....used duck breasts instead and added carrots and wild mushrooms.....AWESOME again!!

weatherby
11-01-2005, 06:13 AM
I got this cookin right now. I'll let ya know tonight how it turned out

Trteamer
11-13-2005, 06:16 AM
I just mixed it up and plugged in the crock pot. I'm taking your guys word for it. My wife looked on in horror as I poured in the coffee. LOL!

BuckMaster
11-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the great recipe I cooked it like you suggested and mmm mmm good! My son had two helpings of the goose breast. It was excellent and so tender it cut with your fork like beef pot roast and tasted just like it!
Now I just gotta go get me some more geese! :cool:

skidsteer
11-21-2006, 07:27 AM
I have a question:

Do you make the gravy out of the stock from cooking the goose with the coffee or do you discard the coffee stock after cooking the goose?

Thanks.

Quacker-Wacker
11-21-2006, 10:39 AM
I tried this one with a venison roast. Awsome!!!:uh:

DUCKDIGGLER
11-22-2006, 10:02 AM
skid....leave the coffee in. You may need to add a bit of water and gravy mix to make a "proper" gravy but man is this dish GOOD!

Foldem
01-10-2007, 09:06 PM
GUys I tried this tonight and the wife and I loved it. One thing, do you have any tips on keeping the meat moist? Ours dried out a little.

Thanks,

Kevin

BeenGoosed2
11-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Glad you guys liked this one --- haven't had it in awhile --- think I fire some up this weekend. Been eating the corned goose sandwiches for lunch for the last year --- another great way to cook honker.

Skid --- per your question --- I have always made the gravy on the side --- don't think it would taste bad, but I alway eat this for supper, and I don't like to drink that much caffeine in the evenings.

BG2

Kreller1
01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Not being a coffee drinker, what kind of coffee should you use? (i.e. I have no coffee maker, and I don't want to buy one just for cooking goose, lol)

DUCKDIGGLER
01-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Kreller....you can use some beef broth in place of the coffee...I personally would use the low-sodium type.

Let us know what you think of the recipe!

Kreller1
01-15-2008, 02:34 PM
After making this with the last goose I had in the freezer, the wife demanded that I go out and kill a (*&^ load of geese for the freezer. Apparently, she really liked it! (So did I) I have 10 days to fulfill her wishes..... wish me luck

CamoHunter870
02-18-2008, 05:19 PM
:TT:

Cooked up this recipe yesterday and used the meat in stir-fry last night with fresh carrots, onions, & peppers and frozen stir-fry mix along with alittle teraiki (spelling) sauce and the meat was excellent. Cracked open a cold Bud Light and went to town on the dish. It does taste very much like roast beef and I plan on using this recipe alot more.

The recipe I used is alittle modified from this one and I got it from AL-IA who got the original recipe from this post.

-Cut up goose breast (I had 5 chunks of meat from each breast and used two geese and two mallards)
-10 cups of brewed coffee
-package of Lipton Beefy Onion Mix
-1 can of Swenson Beef stock
-chopped up onion
-chopped up garlic

I cooked it on High setting for 1 hour and the low for another 10 hours in the crockpot I use.

I have to admit, I was a bit worried about using the coffee since I am not a coffee drinker but it sure makes it taste great. This recipe is up there with DuckDigglers apple cider/brown sugar recipe.

Hart
09-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Breast meat from one goose cut into bite-sized pieces and put in crock-pot.
Add: 1 can of mushroom soup, 1 pkg. of dried onion soup mix,1/2 Spanish onion diced
1 cup of sliced mushrooms,1/2 c. of sour cream, 1 tsp. minced garlic , freshly ground pepper
1-3 Tblsp. Cajun spice
1/2 c. water
Cook on high for two hours and on low for 3-4 hours.
Scoop on top of mashed potatoes - Plenty here for two people. Enjoy!

Hart

LeGrand
10-02-2008, 03:09 PM
OK, this sounds delicious. Going to try it. Just won't tell the wife I used coffee, since she likes coffee so much.

I had heard/read of marinating goose & duck breast in "coca-cola" prior to cooking (coke's ingredients supposed to have acitic reaction that mellows the taste of waterfowl, maybe it's the caffeine in it), but never tried it.

Maybe there is a correlation with the two methods.

Quackercide
11-03-2008, 06:19 PM
I tried this out on my family last night. My wife usually won't eat anything wild. However, she and the kids loved this recipe. I followed the process from the original post and it was supper easy. Who would have thought that coffee would get rid of the gameyness.

I used legs and breasts from a couple smaller geese and a couple big old giant gander breasts. The small ones tasted awesome and we could cut the meat with a fork. However, the big ones were pretty tough. (Although, they didn't taste gamey at all.)

I put them in whole. Do you normally cut the tough old gander breasts into smaller chunks or tenderize them?

Thanks

DUCKDIGGLER
11-04-2008, 05:27 AM
Quakercide....I normally cut the meat up into 1" or so thick strips to aid in the breakdown. Give that a go next time...I think it will help immensely.

BIGDADDY
11-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Their was recipe a while back croc pot using apple cider. Wife cooked it up made the whole house smell like apple pie. Shredded meat and add bar b que it was awesome

LeGrand
11-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Tried it a couple of weeks ago, and man oh man, it was delicious. Once totally cooked, I added red wine to the brew, and that powder that help thickened and reduced the liquid. Even the leftover was very well appreciated by all the family.

banded
10-18-2010, 07:46 PM
I think this is a great one for sure!! I will defenatly be giving this a try~!

Quacker-Wacker
03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
This one is still my favorite! Made it again last night but instead of gravy, I added hot and spicy BBQ sauce and some chopped onion for sandwiches. AWESOME!!! Also works well with venison!:uh:

LeGrand
03-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Funny this post popped-up again.

I just made this recipe this past weekend.

One of the favorite of the whole family, and honestly, one of the easiest.

LorneP
09-17-2011, 06:16 PM
do you have to like coffee for this to work? does it taste like coffee? i HATE coffee so im a little scared

fowlhntr
09-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Just tried the crock pot coffee goose and it was great.The wife loved it too and no it does not have any coffee taste.If I had not known it was goose I would never have guessed that was what it was.Simple recipe with great results

DUCKDIGGLER
09-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Lorne....no sir....you cannot taste the coffee.....it's a super recipe!!

Fowlhntr....glad you enjoyed it.....I hope everyone tries it because it is DAMN GOOD!!

ORBirdHunter
10-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Not sure that it makes a difference, but is the brewed coffee you utilize "strong/bold", or medium-weak? Does the finished goose have any coffee taste?

ORBirdHunter
10-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Sorry, didn't read down far enough regarding "coffee taste" in finished goose. Please ignore. However, I am interested in the strenght of the coffee you use. (Please note that I'm from the dank, dark, coffee drinking northwest!) I love coffee, and was actually hoping there might be a bit of a coffee flavor in the cooked-goose.

ORBirdHunter
11-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Tried the crockpot/onion soup/coffee recipe with six goose breasts. A little underwhelmed, as several of the breasts were a bit dry. I cooked them on high for about three hours before switching to low heat, as they were still a bit frozen in the middle when I started. Will try again on high for about an hour, and then switch to low. Flavor was pretty good.

kirsch
09-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Guys, when trying this recipe, make sure to drain off the coffee after a few hours and then cover the goose with your what you want the final flavor to be. Gravy works great but BBQ sauce also is amazing. I do the same thing as described but often break/shred the meat, after a few hours (liked pulled pork or shredded beef), and then slow cook it for a few more hours with the BBQ sauce. It is amazing just like shredded pork or beef over noodles, etc. Try it and you won't be sorry.

Wingbuster
10-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Tried it and it was GREAT! Tenderest goose I've ever eaten! Next time Im gonna add carrots and celery too....less strong coffee then I added first time....thanks for this....will definitely be eating this more and more!