PDA

View Full Version : KSU duck hunter frusterated with these geese

CookedGoose
01-07-2003, 09:48 PM
Well guys, names Mark Bigler, a couple of you on here know me like VC. Anyways, I am a big time duck hunter up at KSU(or wichita when I'm home). I'm a field editor for another hunting website called waterfowler.com, maybe some of you know of it? Well, I've been duck hunting all my life and now I'm trying to get into goose hunting and am looking for anyone to show me the ropes/help me in any way possible. These damn birds are so much more frusterating than ducks. God, duck hunting is childsplay compared to goose hunting. 162 ducks this year compared to jack squat for geese. The problem I have been running into is that I go around and get permission on a couple fields the geese have been using. Then when I go to hunt them at the exact same time I saw them the previous day, the birds either dont show, or just one small flock will come in. The other problem is finding land to hunt on, but thats a problem wherever you go. The past couple of days I have been following around a 1000 birds into a wheat field. Some of those birds were also drifting into the disced corn field I had permission on. Well, I go to hunt them after scouting 3 nights in a row seeing them land in the field only to have the geese fly over and taunt me from about 80 yards up. Nothing came to land in the field except one group of around 15 mallards. Ah, hell I just need some pointers or advice considering I am new to goose hunting but know the basics. I have killed geese before, just not many. And as for being frusterated, the whole group of guys I hunt with are just as frusterated as I am about this whole deal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark Bigler
__________________________________________________ __
~"that boys such a good shot the ducks pluck themselves on the way down"~ S. Sullivan

Goose Killa
01-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Manhattan is a very hard place to scout because of all of the hills. My brother and I tried scouting a couple times but had really no luck we found a field with some birds but it turned out that it was already least.

beefwelu
01-07-2003, 10:05 PM
How many guys are you hunting with and what does your spread look like. How many dekes and what kind of blinds are you using.

kansasducker
01-08-2003, 05:35 AM
Are you hunting these birds in Manhattan or Wichita?

DC
01-08-2003, 06:38 AM
Don't feel lonely! These things are like that.

I have experienced the same thing. This is only my third season hunting waterfowl and I've found that I can shoot ducks most times out and bring home a limit on a lot of occasions, but geese are a different story.

To compound matters around here this season, we just don't have many birds.

I can tell you this though, these guys on here are the right source! Some of these guys are getting pretty good at this and some of them have forgotten more than most people will ever know. I get even more frustrated hearing about how easy some of these guys make it look from time to time.

But that is how it works... I figure if I keep putting in the time I will eventually learn enough to kill them on a somewhat regular basis!

Sorry I'm not much help, but at least I'm not alone in my frustration!

goosegetter
01-08-2003, 07:40 AM
Cookedgoose I know what you are talking about. I hunt around the Wichita and Marion areas and have had a lot of problems getting the birds to finish.

Where are you hunting at????? Maybe next time you are in Wichita we could meet up for a beer or two and shoot the sh!t

kansasducker
01-08-2003, 07:42 AM
I'm trying to get a handle on which flock (if it's Manhattan) you are hunting so I can give you an idea on how much pressure those birds get. Some of these birds around Manhattan get pounded on a regular basis and some don't!! We adjust our tactics accordingly and kill geese very regularly.

Don't be too frustrated, this weekend we limited in a field on Sat. morning in just 2 flocks and were picked up and out before the lions share of the geese came in. We hunted the same field the next morning which should have been a lock and the geese short stopped us in the next field!

Very frustrating buy hey..........that's why they call it hunting, instead of killing!

VCHunter
01-08-2003, 08:26 AM
Pete I think Mark has been chasing the Wichita birds, we have been trading e-mails. I tried to follow the collars up here yesterday morning but they never flew. :ST: I did write down 8 numbers off of the collars though...

kansasducker
01-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Give me your phone numbers and work schedule Strunk? I still need to get you out here in Manhappiness for a killin frenzy!

Little Annie Oakley (my wife) killed another frickin banded bird Sunday night RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! And to think all those birds landed within 10-15 yards and I tried to study all the legs BEFORE I said take em and didn't see that damn bird!

Did go 3 for 3 though. She went 2 for 3....so I still out shot her!!!:OUCH:

CookedGoose
01-08-2003, 10:43 AM
Right now I am in wichita and am chasing the birds up by Potwin KS. I have 2 private fields up there that the birds were using till a day or two ago. Unfortunately I'm not made of money and our spread consists of a few dozen shells and a few dozen silos. If everyone gets together(either 3 or 4 guys) in my group we usually have around 6 doz shells, some mag shells, and the rest silos. As for blinds, I have always just layed down in the field and kinda brushed myself up a little. Is that not the way to go? Do you really need to get a finisher blind?

As for birds up in manhattan, I havent really had a chance to hunt them. Sure we get some passing shots while on the river duck hunting, but I havent set up in a field this year specifically for geese(i kinda lack on the decoy end of things). It seems like most of the geese I see up there are using the fields owned by the land tycoon, Nelson Poultry. All his land is leased for BIG bucks.(some of the best goose ground around though) Otherwise I really dont know where to go or how to get started up there around Manhattan. I have hunted the geese on the mudflats north of randolph bridge last year and we did pretty good. My buddy got a neck bander as well. I dont really hunt any flocks up in manhattan, as I said, I'm a duck hunter mainly. I kinda got into this mission phase where I feel like I'm on a mission to kill some damn geese and I'm not givin up. Well, if anyone wants to ever meet when I get back up in manhattan just shoot me an email. :CL: :CL:

kansasducker
01-08-2003, 10:49 AM
I've killed a hell of a lot of geese over water with just 2 floaters and alot of geese over land with a few dozen shells years ago. Although I wouldn't try to hide 5 guys in 3 dozen shells! I always figure a minimum of 2-3 dozen decoys per hunter will get you by.

Jossie
01-08-2003, 11:13 AM
You might want to get a couple of flags. There not expsensive (Heck you can build a couple that will get you by) and they sure seem to get the geese attention. The motion the geese see as there coming in sure seems to help.
In my opinon you don't have to have a ground blind. We have killed a ton of birds without them. Just make sure that nobody is moving....including turning your head. Are you laying a mag shell across your chest? You might want to consider doing that if your not.....just helps break your body up.

Good luck and welcome to the roost!

CookedGoose
01-08-2003, 12:25 PM
KansasDucker, most of the time I hunt with 1 other guy and we have around 5 doz deeks between the 2 of us. I think I'll have to invest in some mag shells to lay under. What we had been doing was putting silos at our feet and next to us to try and break ourselves up that way. I dont think it worked too well. What do you guys think about using silos? Do any of you think they tend to flare birds or do they work just fine? Gimme your ideas.

__________________________________________________ __
~"you'd have to gimme a crowbar to fit another goose in this field"~

kansasgoose
01-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Hey Pete

what do you do special for those highly pressured birds to get them into the decoys??

kansasducker
01-08-2003, 02:39 PM
foots only

plus going the extra mile to hide well and no movement

Or just don't hunt the fricking pressured birds at all if there are other dumb flocks around to chase.

kansasducker
01-08-2003, 02:43 PM
cookedgoose,

To each his own on decoys. Used to own all shells, went to all silly's, now own a mixture of both again. Depends on where you hunt, how you haul them and whether you can drive and dump at all.

I think silly's are hard to beat for ease of hunting but the wind has to be just right so the birds don't circle. I tend to think they won't come back to silly's.

Generally speaking though, I think birds are more apt to swing a spread of shells and still come in though.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I don't own full bodies simply because I prefer a large spread and don't have the ability to haul or drive and dump a large # of footers.

kansasducker
01-08-2003, 02:45 PM
Have hunting buddies that own them though for when their needed.

Xtremefowler
01-08-2003, 05:02 PM
CookedGoose, What kind of shell decoys are you using(standard, mags, or super mags)? Are they G&H, Flambeau's, Carrylite. Also you mentioned that you are using silo's. What type of silo's you using. Another thing to look at when your scouting is the weather. Was it cold when you first saw them and then when you went to hunt had the weather and temp changed alot? How far are the birds flying from the roost. I would be glad to help you anyway I can and welcome to the site I am sure you will get plenty of help. Later and good luck:wak:

CookedGoose
01-08-2003, 07:54 PM
XtremeFowler, the deeks we use are the convert-a-goose shells whatever brand that is, and I have some redhead extreme standard shells. The silos we use are outlaws and jennyvanes. The birds are flying 2 miles or so from the roost to the fields. Problem I am running into is they are not sticking to any set pattern. Me and goosegetter found some geese on a wheat field tonight, going out to scout em in the morning for a possible evening hunt. Hopefully the goose gods will bless me dearly.

I would just like to thank all you guys for giving me all this advice/pointers/encouragement. I look forward to getting better aquainted with you all. Mark

goosegetter
01-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Well boys, I meet up with Cookedgoose, gotta admit he sounds pretty damn good on a Flute and damn good on a duck call.

We decided to go scouting tonight had to have saw 1,000 geese 200 prarie chicken and close to 200 ducks. We are going to try and lay the smack down on them tomorrow. :wak:

CS
01-08-2003, 09:26 PM
It just takes time and all of a sudden one day it clicks. consistent cold weather does not hurt either. Go with someone that is successful it tends to rub off. Or you hex them and they do not invite you back:Rich: . Good luck and if they see your face you will see their ass.

triggerhappydug
01-08-2003, 09:59 PM
I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out the geese in that valley! And have hunted from Manhattan to Topeka. Had some great hunts but took more skunks then birds!

I have had the same problems with scouting and hunting that you have had! But that is usually with snows.

If you really want frustration try hunting the snows that fly off of Jeffery's!! We killed 22 one day but we had about 1200 rags and 10 dozen Bigfoot’s out.

The best goose hunting is done on the river in my opinion!
Find out where the geese are roosting and after they have gone out to feed set up on a sandbar or where ever they are staying and try your luck! Sometimes that the only place I could get permission is on the river because it is state owned! This is where is shot my biggest honker, 18 lbs.

Good luck and Good hunting!

cself02
01-09-2003, 07:27 AM
I bought my first dozen outlaw silo's when they first came out and growing up hunting public land mostly they are a must, but as the years went on I kept buying them because my success increased. I mostly will hunt over a mixture of two dozen foots and four dozen outlaws and I have had some of the closest shots using them. Everyone always doubt's the outlaws becuase they think that they flair the birds until they hunt over them and get the point blank shots. If you fan them out when a group makes a pass some will appear and some will disapear and it creates a optical ilusion of movment plus with a little wind they move anyway. Plus you can carry four to six dozen easy with the right carrying pouch. The only reason I even place foots or shells it just to give the overhead veiw of birds. But everyone has there own opinion. I think Outlaws are awesome.