PDA

View Full Version : Decoys?

cself02
01-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Ok boys, Me and my older brother were having a debate about decoys, Quality or Quantity.

Here is what I say, in the old days For me only 10 years ago since I am a youngen (21) you could kill geese over old tires, buckets painted black with a wooden head and pretty much just any dam thing that was black and looked like a goose as long as there was a lot of them. Now expecially with more and more local birds you need Quality meaning the best looking decoys you can drag into the field and of coarse the most.

My older bro thinks with the old theory more the marier.

What do you think?

The reason this is being asked is because I have all big feet and outlaws and he has standard shells, Wandering if it would help to mix in the shells or just stick with foots and outlaws?

Sorry for the novel had to get you guys talking because I am bored.

See ya,:GC:

Tim Williams
01-14-2003, 07:21 AM
We use BF, silos, 4 different sizes & manufacutrers of shells & wind socks. Still kill geese.

cself02
01-14-2003, 07:40 AM
Cool I have killed plenty like that but didn't know with the more warey birds if it would make a difference, We were just trying to figure out what to bring basically, do you mix them in or group them?

goosegetter
01-14-2003, 07:48 AM
I use shells and foots. Although VC and I hunted once with all foots up on my Marion property and I have got to say that the birds gave us a better look that day then I have all year. That doesn't mean that I am note killing birds over the shells and foots, it just means that my local birds are looking for quality. Just my 2 cents worth

cself02
01-14-2003, 07:53 AM
Cool I have killed plenty like that but didn't know with the more warey birds if it would make a difference, We were just trying to figure out what to bring basically, do you mix them in or group them?

cself02
01-14-2003, 07:55 AM
That was weird I wander why it made my reply twice?

:cool:

goosegetter
01-14-2003, 07:59 AM
CSELF are you already :VC: .

cself02
01-14-2003, 08:01 AM
Unfortunatly I am working, But I am on vacation thursday through the weekend so it will be on then.

goosegetter
01-14-2003, 08:05 AM
Cself, what does your spread consit of

VCHunter
01-14-2003, 08:33 AM
Depends on your situation. If you are in a hot field your decoys may not make as much of a difference. But if you are hunting smart birds that have seen it all and are tough to decoy even if you are in the field they have been in for a week, then quality becomes a big issue in my opinion. I'd just assume hunt over 2 dozen foots than 4 dozen standard shells, but that's just me. I think a lot depends on where and what birds you are hunting. :confused:

cself02
01-14-2003, 08:46 AM
Well my spread that I normally like to hunt over is, 4 doz. Mag outlaws, 2 doz. foots, 1 doz sup mags (somtimes through in a few wind socks and a T-flag). That is what I like, quality with a bit of quantity I have never had too many problems with it, hell thats 7 dozen geese? My brother is coming up to hunt from IL. and he has about 2-3 doz standard shells, I just was debating on if it would matter to through em in or leave them at home.