PDA

View Full Version : Shell Decoys

NE Hunter
01-15-2003, 05:20 PM
I have been duck hunting for about 10 years and almost have everything I need (good dekes, great calls, ect.) That is until I decide I need something else tommorrow. I am just starting to get into goose hunting though and to save a little money right now I bought a dozen Carry-Lite goose shells off ebay. I know that Bigfoots and other full body dekes look better but can a man still kill geese over shells and how many does he need to be successfull? Do any of you mix shells with full bodies? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, NE Hunter

VCHunter
01-15-2003, 05:30 PM
Well there have been thousands of geese killed over shells, and we use them pretty regularly mixed in with foots. I like them when it is very cold out and you see more birds sitting down. Around Wichita we will use a lot of supermag shells, for some reason they just seem to work well on those birds. The numbers you need to be successful depends on where you are hunting. I have hunted fields before where I think birds would've landed in a spread of tires and I have hunted fields with several dozen Bigfoots and the birds won't work for squat. Lots of variables. Good luck, there are guys on here who can give you a lot better advice than I ever could.

Tim

goosegetter
01-16-2003, 07:06 AM
My spread consits of a hell of a lot of shells mixed in with around three dozen full bodies. I have killed a lot of geese over the shells (standards, mags, and super mags).

I know that you can kill birds over shells as long as you are hid well and your calling sounds half decent. Just my 2 cents

foul h2o
01-16-2003, 08:30 AM
Right now all I hunt with are shell decoys. I wanting to get some silo's and maybe someday I might buy some bigfoots but those are the last on my list. It all depends on how much hunting pressure is in the area. I have 4 dz standard and thats all I can haul by myself using a cart. I wont get anymore standard shells unless I come by them to cheap to pass up. I would like to have another 1/2 dz grand mags, that would put me at a total of 5 dz shells.

NE Hunter
01-16-2003, 04:09 PM
Thanks for your imput guys. I am new to the site and it is nice to have guys who are willing to give there thoughts and opinions. I appreciate you trying to help a duck hunter become a goose hunter of some sort!!! Thanks, Matt

foulH2O---How close to Fort Cobb are you??? I here that is some awsome duck hunting!!!!

foul h2o
01-17-2003, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure but it's not close. Never been there. I hear it's VERY crowded and allot of out of state tags there on the weekends. I have herd it's not as bad during the week.

Landing Gear
01-18-2003, 03:49 PM
I mix shell with bigfoots, but my best advise that I can give is to get out and scout. If the birds want to be in a certain field and they fell comfortable there, you have won half the battle. Just my 0.02.

NE Hunter
01-19-2003, 12:41 PM
FoulH2O---where do you live in OK????

foul h2o
01-20-2003, 08:33 AM
I live in Blackwell. Moved about 6 months ago from Ponca City, about 15 miles from Blackwell. I'm about 1 hour south of Wichita, KS.

cself02
01-20-2003, 08:42 AM
Man I always question Shell's but this past weekend we were hiding unter two doz supermags and we had two dozen standard shells mixed in with two doz foots and 4 dozen outlaws and I had two geese land right in them. they were so close I thought they would here our heart beet. And they sat there long enough to have twenty more land right in beside them. But they are right the Birds in KS love the Big shells. Good luck