PDA

View Full Version : Big foot decoy's

400Bullelk
01-20-2003, 10:02 AM
Just bought some Big Foots. Need to know how you guys take care of them, and what precautions I should now about. Hope to have two dozen by next season, and what size of trailer to get. How do you guys store them, and how do you transport them?

Big Bad Wolf
01-20-2003, 12:50 PM
You can't hurt them. I have some that are 3 or 4 years old and have been tossed between trucks, fields, garages, trunks, pits, and storage units and they look about as good as some new ones I bought this year. My buddy flocked two dozen of his, and with no special care at all the flocking still looks good after hunting with them about 60 days. He did all the right prep work, wire wheel, cure in the sun, etc... That is the beauty of big foots, they require no care at all except keeping them clean. The only thing you might do is to glue the feet in.

Gander Bander
01-21-2003, 12:33 PM
Has anybody experienced having to clean marsh mud off the these flocked heads? If so, can you get it all off?
The reason I ask is I have been considering flocking my BF's but have had reservations about being able to get all of the mud off.
Ya see, I hunt geese very often on the mud flats of the Great Salt Lake in Utah and this mud will not really come of w/o a really good scrubbing and then may show residual mud. Just don't know if it would be worht the effort for my situation...

GB :cool:

extrapale
01-21-2003, 01:10 PM
We have some pretty thick clay type mud here. I have had no problems getting it off the flocked heads with a spray nozzel on a garden hose. Even after it dried on. Far easier than cleaning the bodies.

salthunter
01-25-2003, 08:31 PM
I hunt the north end of GSL and the Bear River Refuge.
My flocked bigfeet, carrylites and flambou all clean up well. Salt lake mud on flocking seems to clean better than non-flocked portions of the decoys.

Just the garden hose and light brushng.

400Bullelk
01-27-2003, 08:48 AM
Do you think the flocking makes a significant differance? How did you guys from Utah do this year?

Gander Bander
01-27-2003, 12:12 PM
Thanks salthunter,

Good to hear!
Isn't that film left by SLC lake mud the $hits?

GB:cool:

Gander Bander
01-27-2003, 12:37 PM

Limited on ducks nearly every duck hunt.
The geese, well let me just say it was tough and weird to say the least. My buddy counts swans for the state and had access to all clubs and refuges for counting purposes and what told me was that all the majority of geese appeared staying out on Unit 4 & 5 of the Bear River refuge or on private lands and golf coarses. Didn't see very many geese even flying on the south end of the lake this year until near the end the season.
We didn't hunt them much this year because of that (normally we pretty much only hunt geese out on the lake) what geese we had acted like locals that were very educated and had pre-determined destinies. I'm just going to have to find a field to hunt!

How about the rest of you Utahans?

Have a homebrew! :cool:

400Bullelk
01-28-2003, 11:57 AM
I hunted Farmington Bay five times this year, killed a few ducks, and a couple geese. Use to hunt Southern Utah, haven't had the bug for a while, well now I have the bug bad! Bought a new shotgun, 8 bigfoots, getting a new dog, and am trying to join a club! Gander Bander, where are hunting?

Gander Bander
01-28-2003, 05:03 PM
I hunt usually out in the salt lake proper, we launch at either farmington, willard spur or off of the "D" line at Bear River".

400Bullelk
01-29-2003, 05:40 AM
Out of an airboat? Would you buy a membership to clubs, a boat, or an airboat to have the most success?

Gander Bander
01-29-2003, 12:47 PM
One of my best friends has an airboat.
I lucky to have such a friendship. Ninety-eight percent of the time that he goes, I go.

Airboating has really increased our bag limits for sure.
It really gets us away from people and to areas that are is not as pressured.

My first preference would be and airboat (in our area) because it allows us to be more versatle, whereas a club would limit us to location. Although you can't beat a good field to hunt geese . Besides, airboating in it self is really fun. An airboat needs only a 1" of water or only slick mud in some instances to ride on. It's unlike anything else I've experienced.

400Bullelk
01-29-2003, 03:37 PM
So, you take off from one of the refuges docks, cruise out into the Great Salt Lake, and do you find like island out there to set up on, or just out in the middle? Or do you stay in the refuges, and just hunt were it is to far to hike to? I am new to hunting the Great Salt Lake, just trying to get the best information. Same boat, would much rather hunt geese in a field, but I want to get some ducks mounted. And still really enjoy killing ducks.