PDA

View Full Version : Calls?

WildGooseChase
01-20-2003, 06:15 PM
I'm looking at getting new canada call. I'm not sure what I want. What is the recommendation of the group? I'm looking for ideas. Thanks!

cself02
01-20-2003, 07:50 PM
looking for short reed, flute,.........

WildGooseChase
01-21-2003, 07:09 AM
I've had flutes in the past. I think I would like to get a short reed this time. From what I understand they are a little more work to get good at, but I think it would be worth it...............opinions?

goosegetter
01-21-2003, 07:20 AM
Wildgoosechase, there are many good short reeds out there. I am assuming that you have never blown a short reed.....so I would say that the Saunders guide series in derlin would be the way to go. It is pretty easy to learn on and usually you can pick up a used one of the pawn shop for $80. Or go to Cabela's and play around with their calls to see what fits you best.

I would also reccomend picking up the Dave Smith CD or the Honker Talk video by Shawn Stahl. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bart
01-21-2003, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't say that a short reed is any harder, or easier, than a flute to learn - just different. You are picking the best time to get one though, it will give you all summer to get the thing down. The best thing you can do is to go to a few sports shows and stores that carry premium calls and try a variety out, picking the one you like the best. I use Foiles Migrators calls and have found them to have a great sound, are easy to use and they offer first class customer service. Good luck.

WildGooseChase
01-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Cool, I would like to get a quality call. I've found with duck calls it's just easier to start with quality. I would assume goose calls are similar. What should I look to spend to get a respectable call? Thanks guys!

Bart
01-21-2003, 03:05 PM
It all depends on what your looking for. Good polycarbonate calls will run $60 to $80, acrylic anywhere from $80 to $200 and wood and or delrin somewhere in the middle. Personally I like the high crack, consitency and durability of acrylic. Certain types of wood make kick ass goose sounds but to get any kind of volume they have to be tuned pretty stiff. Acrylic stabilized wood will have an acrylic sound and toughness but can be pricey and not everybody makes them. If it were me I would buy as nice a call as you can afford or want, the high end calls can be tuned to fit you as you grow as a caller. When you try calls not only try different brands but several of each brand. Two calls of the same type may sound or blow completely different based on how the calls are tuned. Hope this helps some.

WildGooseChase
01-21-2003, 03:19 PM
Yeah.....thanks!

CookedGoose
01-26-2003, 04:49 PM
Hey WGChase,..... I was over at Jims house today and I got a chance to blow his short reed Winglock... I have to say that I totally suck at short reads and on the second blow I pretty much had the hang of it.. Very easy call to blow.. Suprised the hell out of me. I'm going to pick one up ASAP..

triggerhappydug
01-26-2003, 08:17 PM
This is the first year for me to blow a shot reed and I must say that the Foils Strait Meat Honker makes all the flutes that I ever blew sound like party horns. But it is like anything else it take pratice to get good. I try to blow my call at least 30 min a day. Once you go to the short reed you will never go back!

Xtremefowler
01-26-2003, 10:26 PM
I have a foiles acrylic and just got a birdseye maple SR-1 and the SR-1 sounds a little deeper and more mellow but the foiles has the volume. I would suggest looking at an SR-1 because it comes with a free tape and it is one of the better tapes out there in my opinion for a beginner to learn about the basics of a short reed.

kansasgoose
01-27-2003, 07:41 AM
whatever call you get, I would get an instructional video to go with it. Video lets you see what the guy is doing as well as hear it, and you can learn by yourself, so you wont be embarrassed when you first start out. Then just practice every waking moment.

NE Hunter
01-27-2003, 08:16 AM
I am also thinking of buying my first acylic goose call. I currently own a Foiles duck call and was thinking of buying a Striat Meat Honker call from him or a Zink call but you all speak so highly of the Wing Lock calls. Which would you all prefer, Foiles, Zink or Wings Locked or another? Which is easier to blow and operate?????