PDA

View Full Version : Geese

AllAboutH20FowL
01-21-2003, 08:34 PM
Any of you Flockers seeing any new birds down your way yet? We had a decent push of birds this weekend but I think that the full moon screwed us. We still had to play with decoy shy birds and the new birds did not move until yesterday. We are suppose to get up to 4" of new snow by tomorrow night and I am sure that will push them down there. We did not see a lot of geese tonight when we went out scouting so I think some may have left already but I am sure that they will be gone by the weekend. I am not sure of the Eastern part of the state is suppose to see and new snow or not. I hear that SD still is holding quite a few birds but I find that kind of hard to believe because Pierre got 10". Just thought that I would let anyone south of me know the forcast.
Later

Bart
01-21-2003, 08:52 PM
We're supposed to get some snow too, not that it matters now, our season ended last Sunday. You lucky bastards out west can hit em up untill the end of the month. I hope it snows a foot, farmers can use the moisture.

AllAboutH20FowL
01-21-2003, 09:15 PM
Bart--- It is bad dry here. I don't think that the snow is helping though. The snow that we got you can not even make a snowball from it. It is a very dry snow, had little moisture in it but I guess that any little bit helps.
Sorry to hear about the season closer but at least oyu can sleep at night now. I can't wait until ours is over ( unless things turn around drastically) so I can get back to normal. :bh:

I hope that the snows show up in full force this year because they are going to pay.:wak: :wak:

P.S. --- Still have not heard anything about that contest here yet. I tried to mail him again but no response yet so it does not look good.

speck
01-22-2003, 11:32 AM
well we got 2 inches and it's pretty much done snowing. But it Stinks because there is a good # of geese here know since it snowed. Well good luck to the ones that can hunt.:BM:

NE Hunter
01-22-2003, 01:00 PM
I have not seen any new activity south of North Platte to speak of. There are some birds holding at Trenton lake as well as on the sand pits around McCook. I have not hunted them, I just moved to the area (Curtis) and Have had little time this season to get out and get any goose permission. I spent at little to much time duck hunting early on. I do hunt alot in KS and they are holding quit a few birds down that way. I know that doesn't help you guys much but thought I would post. I am new to the site and want to say thanks to everyone for their advice.
AllaboutH20fowl----You were talking about a contest in North Platte????? Calling contest???? I am interested in getting started in that someday and would like to attend a few and watch. Maybe we can hook up for a hunt sometime---this season is almost over but if you turkey hunt we could do some of that maybe. Curtis isn't to far from North Platte.

Bart
01-22-2003, 07:12 PM
We also ended up with about two inches, more blow than snow. The ground is bone dry here too, no way it's gonna snow enough to do the farmers any good. They're gonna have to have a damn wet March/April/May to do any good here. We're supposed to get some more Friday.

NEhunter, the contest in North Platte is not being held this year, long story. I spent alot of time around Trenton growing up, that's where my family comes from. Very beautiful area, tons of deer and turkey along the Frenchman Valley, decent amount of waterfowl most years too.

Allabout, heading to Kearney this weekend to try and put the whack on some birds. Weather is supposed to warm up but for lack of anything better to do we're going to give it the old college try.

AllAboutH20FowL
01-23-2003, 09:11 AM
I hope that this weather did not drive all of our birds out. It is very cols and we have about 3" on the ground. W e have a park here that hold most of the birds that we shoot and on Sat. evening after work I went over and there were new birds comming in big time but the past two nights that I have been there it has been pretty bleak. I pray that they were just out eating.

Bart- I have a bunch of friend sthat hunt down that way I will get ahold of them and let you know what is going on that way. I have not been down there recently to see if they are holding many birds but I will let you know.

Matt- I might have something lined up this weekend for a hunt and if I do I will let you know but it is had to say with the birds acting like they are, seems like we lost a lot of birds with this last weather.
Later

P.S. --- Bart stay out of the Backlot down there.... LOL

Bart
01-23-2003, 11:23 AM
The Backlot??? I wouldn't know what your referring to, never been there, don't even know what it is. They still running from 4:30 to 9:30??? Another good one, sort of, is the one over in Holdrege, The Tower is what it is called I believe. Not that I know it's a good one from being there ever, I would never do that, umm.................never mind.lol

NE Hunter
01-23-2003, 11:48 AM
Allabout----I would love to go this weekend if you got room for one more. If thinks work out for you are you looking at Sat. or Sun.??? What is the geese situation looking like, better or worse from yesterdays post??? Matt

AllAboutH20FowL
01-23-2003, 01:37 PM
Bart ---- Sounds like you know you know more than you are letting on. I think that tip-off is still 4:30 and the game ends at 9:30. As far as The TOWER I think that anything goes there. The memmories of the TOWER, not a lot of good ones. Just remember what you are really going there for.

Matt--- I think that we are going to be sweet, it sounds like they are using our fields so we might be good to go. I will talk to my partners and see what the plan is but I will let you know tonight. If you want I can call you or you can call me. E-mail me or PM me and we will hook it up.
Later

NE Hunter
01-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Trent--I shot you an e-mail. I couldn't find your # in the book. Give me a buzz. 366-8613

Bart
01-23-2003, 04:10 PM
The Backlot, oh boy:NW:. There was time my friends and I should have bought stock in the place we spent so much money there. We'd show up about 4:30 or 5:00 and check out the shaker and then stay for the dj and get all stupid and silly. Back in those days we referred to the place as the Feedlot, for every piece of eye candy there was at least four hogs and I never was one for going hoggin. The Tower now is a far different story, I've never seen a shaker in there that wasn't a hog, but the crowd is a blast. I can't decide if I miss those days or not, fun nights but painfull mornings.

IC-GEESE
01-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Down here by G I there have been huntable #s of birds. Some new birds last week . They sure got acclimated to area quick.Been huntin fields in morning sestion then down to river for second go around .Been producing limits everyday for last eight days .May have to switch tomarrow though weather changing.Here comes the sun again ,warmmer weather coming again ,why dont it just get cold and stay cold ? Heck Wedsday there were about 500 -1000snows /blues working a field south of us and more coming in from south for about one hour till sun set.Birds seem to be starting there old patterns again. Some weather would help.