PDA

View Full Version : Decoy Manufacturing

Blake Hermel
01-22-2003, 03:58 PM
I was wondering if any of you have experience making your own decoys? no i am not crazy, but wondered how the process of carving a clay prototype, then getting a mold for it? is it alot of money for the molds? how does the process work? i dont want to steel anyones ideas or market...just looking to find some info for a hobby...i airbrush a little and want to take that next step..

Backwing
01-23-2003, 08:36 AM
All depends on what material you want the decoys to be made of, and how you want them molded. Along with some other factors.
We developed a new decoy over the past 6 years, and finally got them in production this year. They are a hollow plastic single piece full body that is roto-molded. The molds of each position are in the neighborhood of $20,000 plus the expense of a sculptor for 6 years.

You can go with foam, not nearly as durable, but cheaper, and good for the do-it-yourselfer. I think there are some places on the web that sell molds, foam, and whatnot, just do a search.

Blake Hermel
01-23-2003, 11:03 AM
hmmm, $20,000. wow,a little more than i was looking at, thanks for the info, i think i am gonna stick to airbrushing...

Backwing
01-23-2003, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't write off the idea, there is info out there on the web about mold making, and even some good info for the do-it-yourself decoy making. And some of the methods are not nearly that expensive. Be creative.

IC-GEESE
01-30-2003, 07:49 PM
I make my own decoys . Started out about 30 years ago when styro got going, over the years I feel we have progressed just fine. We now use injection molding. Dont know if you can come up with a beter process,and stay reasonably cost efective. the whole process costs about 80.00 a doz. painted. The decoys are bullet proof ,hold paint, no two look alike.and they look like geese also. They have worked real well for us,and were we hunt things got to be almost fool proff ,lots of company if you know what I mean

chcltlabz
01-31-2003, 06:17 AM
On the molds, yes you can buy them for about $75 roughly. I've seen them for sale fairly often on Ebay, or you can get them, or any supplies you want at www.blacklabdecoys.com. I am not recommending them, because I've never used any of their products, but I know they sell them there.

Also, ever think about carving decoys? You can make cork dekes or even foam dekes pretty easy by carving your own. Then they really are all one of a kind.

Flipper
01-31-2003, 06:34 AM
IC- Geese, could you or would you post some picks of your decoy's? It would also be great if you could share some of your know how.
If anybody has any idea's for decoy projects in the off season post up boy's, this is what this forum is all about. Jeff :Rich:

Dave Smith
01-31-2003, 10:37 AM
IC-GEESE- your's wouldn't by chance be Gooseband Decoys??? the reason I ask is I was trying to figure out how someone could injection-mold a full-body decoy and then I realized that you could injection-mold a sillouette. Is there such a thing as a full-body that is not blow-molded or roto-molded???? BLAKE HERMAL- you do not have to spend big big bucks on molding. You can roto-mold decoys yourself without a machine just kind of a workout. Do a carving or sculpture and make a silicone rubber mold with a fiberglass shell mold. This will cost you about 200 bucks. Pour resin into the mold and slush it around until it cures. It's not quite as simple as that, but I'm trying to OUTLINE it for you. For hot roto-molding, the mold is still not that expensive. There are some GREAT companies that can make a mold for 3000, to 5000 bucks and many of them will let you do the mold bed yourself which will cut the cost in half. With this type of mold, you can make a polyethelene or PVC decoy. Sometimes a little heavier than blow-molded decoys but strong and alot cheaper!! don't be discouraged!! and what great suggestion by CHCLTABZ carve a few of your own working cork decoys, too. Good luck Dave