PDA

View Full Version : To many Uprights????

triggerhappydug
01-23-2003, 05:39 PM
We have been trying to deal with huge flocks of small geese. We have been hunting in the same fields that they were in the day before but they just don't want to commit! They will lock thier wings about 100 yards straight above us then circle until I get impatient a blast'em.

Any way I was watching a flock of about 700 geese today and noticed that there was only 3 geese that were upright and the rest were feeding. Not to get off the topic but there were also 3 neck bands in the bunch! I was just curious to see if anybody could help me out with these big bunches! I am hunting over 3 dozen foots but only one dozen is feeders!

Thanks,
Trigger

Jossie
01-23-2003, 08:27 PM
I think those are called "educated geese":in: :in:

You might try taking the feet off some of your big foots so it looks like there a little more relaxed. Those big groups are really tough to pull in.....so many eyes looking over your spread. Good luck!

CookedGoose
01-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Just from what I have heard from fellow flockers is that cacklers are extremely tough to decoy.. You said small geese so I am assuming they are cacklers.. I dont know much about goose hunting as I am just getting into it, but according to Jim(goosegetter) cacklers are tough little buggers to get in.

kansasgoose
01-24-2003, 11:59 AM
this may seem radical, but if your hunting just those little bitty canadas, set out your snow spread and use your high pitched halfbreed to call them with. This time of year, them birds pretty much know what a bigfoot looks like,and lessers mix with snows alot anyway.

CS
01-24-2003, 12:46 PM
Those small birds like lots of decoys. I would say like 15 dozen minimum. I would not worry about a call that much because I doubt they will hear it anyway but flag like there is no tommarrow. Be patient also they may circle 10 times before they commit. but when they are in range you better take them because you never know how they will react. Good luck

cself02
01-24-2003, 12:47 PM
As for the feeder heads I have always had the best luck with fewer upright heads, it makes your flock seem uncomfortable, about the only time you will see geese in the field or water with there heads up is when that are on alert or getting ready to leave the field or water, I usually try to purchase dozens of feeder only decs and I have better luck.

Good luck,

Foldem
01-24-2003, 09:22 PM
I'd call and flag like hell. As soon as I let off on those little suckers, they seem to loose interest. High pitched fast clucking.

Foldem

Xtremefowler
01-25-2003, 08:46 PM
What type of fields are you huntin? If they are cupping there wings at 100yds and locked on the spread it sounds like to me they are seeing something they don't like. What are you using to hide? Another trick I use once the birds start getting decoy shy if thats the problem is to move your blinds about 40 to 50 yds downwind of your spread and while the birds are checking the spread it's already too late because they don't even no your there. See what the 1st flock does and adjust and be willing to try differant things. Later and hope this helps.

Charlie Hess
01-26-2003, 09:54 AM
A few years ago I saw a spread that had four dozen Flambeau shells in it --ALL uprights. Talk about looking wierd. I doubt they killed many if any geese.:ST: :bh: :in:

triggerhappydug
01-26-2003, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all of the advice! We really stuck it to them this last Saturday using a combination of the given advice (Flagging and calling like a mad A$$ and also added 2 dozen big foots to the group!

We had several flocks of 200+ bird work in so close that I think that I could have reached out and grabbed their tongues. Had another single that we had to stand up out of our blinds to get to fly.

Had a Great hunt thanks to some wisdom passed down!

Trigger