PDA

View Full Version : HELP geese landing short..

CookedGoose
01-25-2003, 07:57 PM
Hellow once again fellow flockers.. I see some of you had a killer weekend. Congrats! Unfortunately mine was not so fortunate. I hunted a wheat field this evening with 1 doz full bodies and 2 doz standard shells. I was sitting on the edge of the field since I cant drive to the middle. The wind was from the SW at around 10-15 I imagine. The first group of honkers that came in(40-50 birds) gave me a hard look and worked for a bit but ended up putting down in the field across the road. The second group(40-50 again) came over the top of my deeks, made a U turn and locked it up hard. Needless to say my heart was racing faster than all get out as I have never by myself decoyed any geese. They were coming in and I kept growling at em but they set down 20-30 yards short of offering me a shot. Right after they landed a group of around 10-15 came in behind so I was hoping they would land in between the live birds and me, this was not to be. They ended up setting down right ontop of the live birds also not giving me a shot. A few minutes later they got bored and flew off.(I didnt want to scare them because I was going to hunt the same field in the morning) About 20 minutes later another group of around 40-50 birds came right over the top of me and U turned n locked it up. They sat down in the same place the other birds did. Keep in mind I do not have a whoopgrass eliminator otherwise I would just go sit where they were landing. I let them sit for a minute listening to how they "talk" to eachother when finally they also left. After that another group of around 15 came in and did the exact same thing only these birds did not finish they just hovered over where the others had been landing. I couldnt really move because I dont have a blind. I was just sitting in the tall grass on the edge of the field(mostly sunflowers and prairie grass). The cool part was just seeing the geese work and land + listening to how they talk when they are working.(really helps a beginner caller) But none the less I bagged 0 birds. Any thoughts or ideas concerning why these birds might have stopped short? Is there anything I could do to help prevent that from happening tomorrow morning? Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark Bigler

jayhawker
01-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Do you have any big shells you can lay under so that you can get further out into the field. I guess what I gather from this is that they didn't want to land too close to the tall grass, which they never really do.

CookedGoose
01-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Well there are these cement drainage things that are very brushed up(3 in diff areas of field)but I cant drive out there so I guess I will have to haul the suckers 200-300 yards out to the middle of the field for tomorrow.. God thats gonna suck!!!!

Xtremefowler
01-25-2003, 08:37 PM
Yea I think I would have to agree with Jayhawker. The birds wanted in but were a little shy of the tall grass. I would say to lay in the decoys and cover up as best as you can and if you have a flag use it to help hide you also. Or you might want to even try and set your decoys out 50 to 60 yds out from the edge and upwind of your hiding place and the geese might circle or come over you downwind to approach the decoys and give you a passing shot. Hope this might help

CookedGoose
01-25-2003, 08:43 PM
Jayhawker... I dont own any mag or super mag goose shells.. All I have here with me now is 2 doz standard shells n 1 doz full bodies. I wish I had a whoopgrass eliminator lol

Xtreme.. Today was a SW wing.. Tomorrow is a NE wind so I cant hunt in the same spot tomorrow as I did today. I went and emptied all my duck decoy bags in hopes of being able to fit a dozen full body goose deeks in one. Its going to have to be a 2 or 3 tripper. :CL: :CL: :CL: :CY:

Landing Gear
01-25-2003, 08:56 PM
Maybe you could dig a mini pit 8-10 inches deep with the standards to help hide yourself a bit. When I have to pack I sometimes use those small sleds that you pull (less carrying).

Hope this gets you closer.

BlueWing
01-25-2003, 09:03 PM
you can just get some camo bur-lap I would get farmland gold pattern or shaddow grass, and stubble that out, and use the full bodies to break up your outline, makeing sure evrything is coversd ie face mask etc...one person is pretty easy to hide anymore and its tough without blinds...one other thing that I would do is lay off the hard growls when your alone and try just gravley clucks, or moan/clucks to get them to set in, you said you watched the geese well you heard what they did when the others commited, try your best to duplicate it....
good luck

CookedGoose
01-26-2003, 10:10 AM
Well I packed my deeks out 300 yards to the drainage thing this morning.. Unfortunately the geese didnt show. They decided they wanted to go north and east of me where some guys were set up making it sound like VIETNAM! I must have heard 50 shots this morning. Sigh... Well went out there and froze my A$$ off for nothing. I'll get em one of these days.

Thanks for all the help/info guys.. It will be put to good use.

cself02
01-26-2003, 10:18 AM
Hey you guys still ready to give em hell on tuesday. I bought my new truck so I need to introduce it to some dead geese. Give me a call when you get a chance

CookedGoose
01-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Yeah I am planning on going....I lost your number so you might want to give me a call lol.. Should be home tonight around 10pm.. 785-395-3540 Mark

foul h2o
01-27-2003, 07:58 AM
If you get a chance to scout them out the night before, set your decs where they were. As far as hiding, lay down inside your spread and bunch about 6-8 decoys around you to help break up your out line. It doesn't seem like the right thing to do but it works. Get away from the edges or anything the geese may feel threatened by. When they are working DON'T MOVE. Good luck

CookedGoose
01-27-2003, 01:40 PM
You sure that works in winter wheat??? Seems like fall flight camo in winter wheat wouldnt break up my outline at all.. I have done the decoy cover up thing in corn before and I know that works, but I am kinda skeptical about doing it in winter wheat.

cself02
01-27-2003, 02:56 PM
I have been having the same problem in a wheat field or beens, We always sit about 3 to 4 feet away, would it be better to spread out more, ? and what about a dog do you think they stick out, I have a black lab she will lay next to me and stay still but I always wanderd if they stick out or blen in? I bout a small ground blind from walmark and I was thinking of setting it up and laying in it, what do you think,

Mark I will give you a call tonight.

913-485-9728 is my number,

foul h2o
01-28-2003, 04:55 AM
As long as you don't move it can work. I've been caught out standing in the middle of my dec's before and didn't move and the birds came in. It sounds insane but it can work. IMO that you do try to cover up with something that somewhat blends in. Try a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet (astroturf) You might have to take some spray paint and dob it here and there or you might try r&r kids christmas garland idea if you can find any. You will have an easier time getting birds to come close to your spread when you are set up where they want to be and feel safer. This time of year all of them are skiddish working edges of fields.

foul h2o
01-28-2003, 05:02 AM
Just thought of another trick I've used this time of year. If the birds continue to not finish,, try moving down wind 50 to 100 yards depending on how much wind there is. You'll be able to get a passing shot if they continue the same habits.

cself02:
If your dog will hold and lay down I don't see a problem. r&r kid has his dog lay down and he covers it up with a super-mag decoy. If you have a dec large enough you may try it.