PDA

View Full Version : Choke Tubes???

NE Hunter
01-26-2003, 10:03 PM
I posted a thread on shot guns last week and want to thank you all for the good and welcomed advice. I am also thinking of buying a new choke tube. What do you all recommend? Stay with the factory "come with the gun" tubes or go to a Pattern ******, Heavy-Shot tube, HS Undertaker, Carlson's ect. What do you all have or recommend, improved, modified, full, close range, mid, or long??? I am thinking a mid range would be a well rounded choice.

Duck Boat
01-26-2003, 10:26 PM
*************,vc has one and he did a good job. hooker 1 has one . for ducks a wad wizard does a hell of a job .i would get something besides a factory choke just my .02 cents worth

but i think the kind of shells you shoot has a lot to do with it also.hevi shot is high but man it kills them doa.good luck

WildGooseChase
01-26-2003, 10:27 PM
The best thing to do in my experience is to go out and pattern your shots on paper with the shells you plan to hunt with. I've always stuck with the tubes that came with the gun simply because they pattern well with what I shoot. My last Benelli patterned very well with an improved cylinder even at longer distances when I was shooting larger steel shot, say #2's on up. That seems to be the case with my new gun as well. I've been smashing them (ducks) with an improved all season, even the the long shots. I've read that shooting steel through an improved cylinder is comparable to shooting lead through a modified. I may be telling you stuff you already know, but I thought I would share what has worked for me. I don't know much about the after market tube. I havn't had any reason to try them.

WildGooseChase
01-26-2003, 10:30 PM
I do know a guy who's gun didn't pattern worth crap until he got a *************. I guess every case varies.

YellowLab
01-27-2003, 07:33 AM
Wad Wizard......put it on them and pull the trigger.......dead.:wak:

BlueWing
01-27-2003, 10:03 AM
paper does'nt always tell the story, its hard to see the 3d shot string on paper, thats what I thinks makes a choke tube better than the rest, on that note I would suggest a wad wizard either the supreme or swat, both awsome chokes,

NE Hunter
01-27-2003, 10:43 AM
Where do you guys get these Wad Wizard chokes at????

WildGooseChase
01-27-2003, 10:52 AM
One question I've always had about the after market tubes is, what kind of constriction do they have? Lots of them rave about very dense patterns, say 80-90% at 40 yards. That's great, but a lot of my shooting is at 20 yards and I don't what a pattern the size of a tennis ball at that distance. I do know that some brands offer close, medium, and long-range tubes and that is fairly clear. What's the deal with the brands that offer one "do it all" tube? Also, wouldn't these tight constricting tubes really stretch out your string of shot as opposed to giving you a nice "square" pattern? I was thinking about this in class this morning and thought I would throw it on here to see what all of you think.

YellowLab
01-27-2003, 11:15 AM
NE Hunter-

Cliff sells the Wad Wizard tubes, or check here:

http://www.wadwizard.com

WGC-

IMO, I don't think it has so much to do with the pattern being so tight at close range in order to kill at long range. I think the good aftermarket tubes just do a better job of keeping your pattern consistent and not blowing your pattern apart. As BlueWing mentioned, length of shot string also plays a big part in effective range.

kugohuntn
01-27-2003, 11:18 AM
I have been pondering the Idea also of getting a aftermarket tube. From what i have read is that the reason for these tubes is to shorten you shot string. There for making it more dense. I dont know Maybe it does I know that on the PM website, they go into what the choke actually does.
Might want to check it out. Also I didnt know this till i was on their sight is that PM is a Kansas Company, (Sott City) If it really works the way they say it does then its always nice to help the state companys out when you can.

Gohuntn

reelslick
01-27-2003, 02:41 PM
I am in the process of patterning a BGH 3 1/2". I have used the factory IC, MOD. and the *************.I have also used about 6 different loads in the process. As of right mow the best patterns I have achieved are as follows. *************:Win. Super X "T" 80% at 40 yds. Worst pattern. ************* with Estate 3 1/2" BBB 58% at 40 yds. Best factory tube pattern. Modified with Winchester supreme 3 1/2" BB 76% at 40 yds. I will post up more results later this week.I have 5 more patterns to shoot. Here is my opinion(Take it for what that is worth) In a hunting situation the ************* is either a hit (kill) or a clean miss. With the factory IC or MOD I have had to shoot again at the same bird(on the ground). By the way at 25 yds. the ************* and Kent fasteel 3 1/2" BB is 100% about the size of a basketball.The hunting shots are all on decoying Canada geese.

triggerhappydug
01-27-2003, 09:25 PM
Before you bite of a chunk I would give briley a close look. I have been shooting a light mod. for about 4 years from briley and it patterns very well with all of the different loads that I shoot. Also they don't cost 80 or 100 dollars!

Jac E
01-30-2003, 02:01 PM
I like my briley light mod

Jac E
01-30-2003, 02:04 PM
Briley choke tube light mod $33.00 it works well
with # 4,2 and bb its good choke for the $

honker slayer
01-31-2003, 06:11 PM
I got a set of pattermasters, through a hell of a pattern. Lot better then the factory chokes that came with the gun.:Rich: