PDA

View Full Version : Higdon Stackables in high wind??

Kokanee
01-30-2003, 07:51 AM
I have some Stackables and was wondering what you guys recommend for high wind conditions? It seems that the really wobble, unnaturally in windy conditions.
Any recommendations? Also do any of you guys hammer the stake into the ground? Will a hammer bend the stake?

Thanks
Kokanee Out

Sean Seery
01-31-2003, 08:28 AM
Push the stake farther in to the ground. That seems to keep them from flopping around so much...

I also try using another decoy as a wind break but I don't really know if that works... It makes feel like I'm doing something tho...

Eric VA
02-01-2003, 06:48 PM
We hammer the stakes into the frozen ground and it doesn't bend them. The problem is getting them out of the ground after you pound them in. I have had people kick them to loosen them up and that will bend them.

Backpeddler
02-03-2003, 01:06 PM
We took a cordless drill and drilled holes in the ground to push our stakes deep enough to control the wobble. I have also contemplated attaching rubberbands to the shell and then somehow to the stake for high winds. I thought the Smith gang gave me that idea but Dave said it was not him. Maybe Dusty had subliminally gave me the idea.

biggerdeke
02-13-2003, 04:15 AM
Here is what I did to a couple this season and what I will do to the rest during this summer. I took a tread cutter to the top of the stake added a nut, when the wind would howl I would tighten the nut down. You would not believe the diff it made. the movement was like the wind was blowing 10 instead of 30 mph.

don835
02-13-2003, 01:18 PM
BiggerD...thats a hellova an idea. Am I correct in thinking that the rod is 1\4"? I'm gonna thread my rods as well and use a wingnut and maybe a flat washer to secure em. I used to pull the Stackables in high wind but I think that your idea will work. Thanks for the tip! Later, Murph. :in:

duckpoor
02-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Been following the post and tried something different.

Hardware store has Bonded Sealing washers.
A cupped washer with a "rubber" seal bonded to one side. Rubber washer is smaller than the hole in the steel washer . Push over exposed portion of the rod and they do a fine jub of dampening the motion.
At a dime a piece a cheap solution and when not needed ...
for super light wind I push them down on the rod to the original washer(stop) on the rod before I mount the shell. and they help the motion.
hope this helps someone
rg

DUCKDIGGLER
02-14-2003, 10:41 AM
Nice tip Duckpoor! I'm gonna get some for my rig. What size did you buy? Do you remember.

duckpoor
02-15-2003, 06:17 AM
I really don't recall But I think they were 1/4 inch . that makes the washer like 5/16 and the seal small enough to "seal" a 1/4 inch bolt.
I took one of the stake in and got the ones that fit...
rg