PDA

View Full Version : Where are the snows? Lets start a thread for reports.

Decoyer
01-31-2003, 01:13 PM
I heard there was a movement back into Missouri and Kansas the last couple days. I think we should start a thread that we can all post reports in so everyone can keep track of where the birds are throughout the season. It will also give northern hunters like me something to drool voer for the next 6 weeks or so.

kansasgoose
01-31-2003, 01:16 PM
We tried this last year too. Not too many people posted where their birds were , but everyone looked to see where yours were

Ken H
01-31-2003, 01:23 PM
I saw 3 last night:rof:

YellowLab
01-31-2003, 01:53 PM
Lots of snows in Missouri along the KS/MO border south of US 54. (Could be more north-I haven't been that direction.)

CookedGoose
01-31-2003, 02:02 PM
Read a report that the snows were flying into SE KS last night with the SW wind. The writer said to look for them to be around manhattan/topeka by the weekend. Got the report off waterfowler.com

WildGooseChase
01-31-2003, 02:35 PM
I've recently seen groups of snows following the Kansas River. I've also seen them on Milford, Redmond, and Glen Elder. That's within the last few weeks. They were also on Jeffery earlier in the year, but as of a few days ago there wasn't much happening there at all.

cself02
01-31-2003, 03:05 PM
Go to central/southern Illinois there are always a crap load there, If anyone ever wants to chase em there let me know, I know the area like the back of my hand, But I havn't started buying any snow dec's yet, we just arkansas them mostly.

Natasha
01-31-2003, 04:21 PM
Hey cself02, my GF's parents live right near crab orchard in Marion. They are always telling me how they saw hunters killin geese out of a pit. I guess one of the clubs is only a couple of blocks away from their house.

Bart
01-31-2003, 05:13 PM
Haven't seen any coming north yet, our spring season starts tomarrow. We saw several flocks going south yet in early January, way unusual. I had heard about 3 or 4 weeks ago that there were about 15,000 snow/blues sitting on Harlan County Resevior which is on the Nebraska/Kansas border in central/western Nebraska. I figure within the next two to three weeks we out to be into them (hopefully).

rockandroll_kid
01-31-2003, 06:06 PM
We were holding several hundred in Winfield, but I havent seen them for a week.
I did see one snow at the lake on Wed.:Rich:

DUKFVR
01-31-2003, 06:59 PM
We're still not seeing any loss of snows on the coastal marsh here. Anytime now they will start trickling your way.

CookedGoose
02-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Hunted down by Burlington KS today and there are quite a few snows around. They flew all day pretty much.

kugohuntn
02-02-2003, 01:58 PM
cself/Natasha,

I have family that live there in Marion. Also have quite a few friends that i have made through the years that live around there. Usuallly go over 1-2 times a year and do some fishing or some shooting.

Gohunth

cself02
02-02-2003, 02:20 PM
I grew up hunting out of pits down in marion, 300 yards from Burns hunting club and Tim Grounds and 200 yards from the refuge line, They can buy a goose down there much anymore.

nraredneck
02-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Sure I'll post up. Last year this forum went dead after killin honks.

We were around wamego and saw lots of snows heading towards the little apple. Lots of migrators. 20-30 groups. 7-8 big groups of 4-500. Only problem is this front might push em back down? Hard to say. Wish I had land around Tuttle. Oh, never mind I do. We did manage a couple dozen this weekend but nothing to brag about. Now for the good meat.

nw_bearcat
02-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Haven't seen any in Northwest MO yet...but I heard on another forum that there's several in Southern/SE MO.

NE Hunter
02-02-2003, 05:20 PM
I drove I-80 from Lexington to Lincoln Sat and again today. The number of Canadians was unreal, they are everywhere on the Platte. I did see 4 to 5 groups of snows. All relativly small. There was one group of around 100 feeding in a field between Kearney and Lexington. Just thought I would let you all know.

speck
02-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Right of know we have alot of Canadas in the area. But i haven't seen any snows. Hope to see some soon though. Thanks Kalend

goose me TX
02-06-2003, 12:42 PM
There are still a lot of snows down here around Houston. Just SW of here in Lake Jackson, I saw a field that held several hundred just last week.

AllAboutH20FowL
02-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Hey gys what's up with my buddy callin gme and telling me that they have killed 300 down by Kansas City, KS in the past two days. I don't see any other posts here about them being around there. Just wantitng to know if I need to take a few days of vac. next week.

Thought I would post up and let you guys know and see if anyone else has sen any other movement around there.
Later

cself02
02-07-2003, 06:16 AM
I havn't noticed any up North of KC, but I also work dark to dark, if you know what I mean but as far as lunch breaks go and everything I haven't seen any. just my 2 cents I am sure there are a bunch at Smithville as usual.

DUKFVR
02-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Get your guns ready .They are moving ,went this AM & saw fewer than last week. Talked to local Refuge personnel & they said they are slowly but surely moving out. This was on the marsh country in SE TX.

Fowlslayer
02-08-2003, 08:52 PM
Colbern Road & 7 Highway by Lake Lotawana-Seeing 6 to 8 pairs with about a bazillion Canada's in the wheatfield across the street from me. 2 weeks ago had a flock of somewhere between 50 to 80 (I had to quit counting cause' my kid had shit his diaper and it smelled something fierce). I am so desperate to shoot a snow I'm thinking of taking the bigfeet out of storage and trying to shoot them snows between the blackheads. I'm not positive but I swear I saw a white front.

MO_HUNTER
02-09-2003, 02:44 AM
I hunted this thurs and friday and killed two, say thousands of birds on thurday roosting in our area but all the birds we saw on friday were heading south down the mississippi river.. still managed to decoy a few of them in but they were on the wind and heading out
e

Jossie
03-03-2003, 10:17 PM
Just thought I would let you boys up north know that the snow geese are on the move. Was outside tonight for just a few minutes and heard 3 different groups going over. I'm about 15 miles north of the Oklahoma line, so it should'nt be long before you get some birds moving in. :in: :wak: :in: :wak:

YellowLab
03-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Heard several flocks last night and I was just outside and saw one big flock up high...

Jubilee
03-04-2003, 03:04 PM
Saw all kinds of snows on the mover yesterday, and then a few groups moving around this morning. :Art: :Art:

I got a call from a kid that wants to go hunt some on Thursday (My first free day), and it sounds likea good idea, but that whole getting up early thing and setting up is not sounding too appealing to me right now.:SK:

It's going to be another one of those plans in the making, we will have to see if it is completely followed through.:uh: :uh:

GooseSmith
03-05-2003, 12:47 PM
Been seeing quit a few around central Oklahoma this past week. I saw one flock today that had close to 1500 birds in it. Also seeing flocks of specks with 200-300 birds in them. This is pretty unusual to see around my part of the state.
A buddy and I killed 6 snows and 5 blues last sat. and I got my first banded bird of the year(banded July 30th 1998; Manitoba,Canada) To say the least , I was pumped ,my first ever snow and it was banded!! KEEP THAT COLD AIR COMIN' BOYZ