PDA

View Full Version : Late season geese

rockandroll_kid
01-31-2003, 06:04 PM
Hey Flockers,

I have access to 10 dozen outlaws and 2 dozen bigfeet, and 2 stuffers
I also have a HOT FIELD that is holding about 1500 to 2000 geese and they have been there all week.
It is a wheat field that has a short grass draw up the middle, the geese were setting just North of the draw about 60 yards. The geese will becoming from the North and the wind will be out of the south in the morning.
We have eliminators and chair blinds.

How would you guys hunt this field?????? What decoys???? What pattern????? What blinds???????

PLEASE POST SOME SUGGESTIONS

:wak: :wak: :wak: :wak: :wak: :wak:

Goose Killa
01-31-2003, 06:13 PM
I think you should just stand out in the middle of the field holding a 5 gallon bucket of corn. Thats what there use too.:BM:

rockandroll_kid
01-31-2003, 07:08 PM
whole corn or cracked corn:confused: :confused: :confused:

http://a3.cpimg.com/image/FF/7B/16264703-08bb-00C800B8-.jpg

Like this goosekilla :uh: :uh:

rockandroll_kid
01-31-2003, 07:19 PM
Just curious if you could get them to come in closer if you squatted and got more on there level.
Would it make them more comfortable and maybe let down there guard a little bit.
http://a8.cpimg.com/image/18/7C/16264728-6d0d-02360158-.jpg :OUCH: :OUCH:

triggerhappydug
01-31-2003, 08:03 PM
I would suggest caramel corn! That is their favorite!!

Goose Killa
01-31-2003, 08:54 PM
Thats how I would do it.

CookedGoose
02-01-2003, 01:24 AM
hey if you see a band either wring his neck since they are so close or club him with a baseball bat or somethin..

WildGooseChase
02-01-2003, 11:13 AM
Screw after market choke tubes. It's going to have to be a skeet tube at those ranges. Do you think they make pavement colored Finisher blinds?..........ooooo......the next million dollar idea!

nraredneck
02-03-2003, 09:04 PM
You could of just invited the boys from Hoyt down, Limited and been taken out to dinner but it's to late now. Now ya gotta WAIT to smack some snows with them and let them cook ya breakfast in the field!! :Rich: :Rich:

Xtremefowler
02-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Don't forget about this lonely Ks boy in Co I could have came back and broke out the super top secret tricks on how to decoy canada's. Just ask Joe he know what I am talking about!!! So how did you do and what ended up working?

rockandroll_kid
02-04-2003, 05:34 AM
Hey guys,
I would have invited the boys back to town but the farmer doesnt like for me to have a bunch of guys out there all the time.
We ended up with one goose Sat morning. The birds came off the lake in one big group, landed outside the decoys and we wernt even in the blind yet.:ST: :ST:
I was down on the North end of the field with 2 stuffers, I did manage to scratch one and should have had at least one more.

Not the best ending to an awesome season but its better than nothing.

I still have a little while left to :HP: :HP: :HP: em in Okieland

I cant wait for them snow geese :uh: :uh: :uh:

foul h2o
02-04-2003, 06:06 AM
Went through your okie stomping ground last friday evening. I saw alot of birds that are in your general area. Maybe 1 or 2 miles south of where we hunted thanksgiving. Also saw a large group headed toward the city lake.

rockandroll_kid
02-04-2003, 06:31 AM
I heard there were alot of birds over there.
How many you reckon you saw????
Thanks for letting me know, you been doin any good???
later.......................................Monte

Joe, the pictures looked good

foul h2o
02-04-2003, 08:58 AM
Been doing good around here. Most of the birds I saw were NW of PC. Saw a group of maybe 500 around your area. That was just driving by so I'd be willing to bet that there is allot of birds that will move that direction. One mile east a field was getting swarmed by mallards just east of the hiway.

Went south of work last weekend and set up on a pond/pasture and the birds came in when we were picking up. Always goes that way. We did manage to get 1. Should have been more. Thought I had an X field for sunday but it appears that someone may had beat me to it. Saw some birds but they didn't want to buy what I was sellin.

My dad is comin up this weekend so I'm going to try to scout as much as I can and try to find an X field. Put him on one about a month ago and we hammered them. Best goose hunt he's ever had. I put about 2 dz cacklers in his lap! Can't wait for the weekend.

rockandroll_kid
02-04-2003, 09:17 AM
sounds like your doing pretty damn well.
Thanks for the scouting report:TT:

CS
02-04-2003, 11:04 AM
The birds are getting wise. we set up on the x last saturday and the birds would not get within 100 yards of the decoys. They would not even get close enough to flare. we had over 15 dozen decoys out and the birds could not of cared less. We ended up with 2 specks and 4 lessors but none of them were shot from decoys. Pretty sad to see me killing geese from the bermuda belt. Also they flew right at shooting time which really surprised me.

foul h2o
02-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Good to see you back on the board Calvin. Haven't herd from you for a while. Hope you got everything moved.