PDA

View Full Version : how to discourage neighbor's dog?

greyghost16
02-05-2003, 08:41 AM
I live on a lake and have a very large yard. I have been training my dog in the yard for five years. I have control over my dog and can call him away from problems (though in a "high energy" situation) I may have to nick him with his e-collar to get his attention. The neighbors have a big male dog which is aggressive toward other males as is my dog. They let their dog out at unpredictable times each day and most often pay no attention until they are ready to bring him in. He will immediately rush into our yard growling and posturing if he sees my dog. He will growl at me if I try to run him off also. We are fortunate to have a pretty good duck hunting spot in the front yard and on top of spoiling training sessions, this dog has screwed up a couple of hunts. To compound the problem, the dog's owner works for me and in general I like her and her family. I have spoken to them directly and explained the problem in detail on three occaisions. I get a response right after these discussions but it isn't long before it's back to the same old sh*t. I have thought of a wrist rocket and maybe some rubber pellets but it doesn't seem like this should involve any more expense or effort on my part. I have mentioned that someone's dog is gonna get hurt and no matter whose it is, it will be a problem. Their dog weighs about 110 and I get the impression that they may believe this excludes him from the possibility of being hurt, so no problem. I'm out of good answers so HELP please guys.

chcltlabz
02-05-2003, 09:09 AM
A Slingshot and some of the old marbles works real well. They won't break the skin or bones, but really gets their attention. Aim for the rump, and I think you'll change his mind. Also, pepper spray works as well if not better on animals than people. Give him a blast of that the next time he gets aggressive with you.

Nevada Jim
02-05-2003, 11:56 AM
greyghost16 ... Have you overlooked the obvious? You have the remote in your hands but the collar's on the wrong dawg! Think about it.

Does your community have an off-property leash law? If your neighbor won't contain/control her own dawg, and you've discussed it with her on several occasions, then YOU need to enforce a NO command. However, I'd urge you NOT to use a slingshot, pepper spray, BB-gun, etc. You'll create an even larger problem for yourself than you have right now.

greyghost16
02-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Jim, I am not sure I understand your suggestion. My dog will respond to the "no" command until the most energy charged moment and then a nick will get him back on track. I can't put the collar on the neighbor's dog in this situation. Iagree that I can't use a slingshot with ammunition like marbles because I can imagine an error causing injury which I would not have intended. Even if my dog responded to "no" unfailingly, I would still have to cut training or hunting short under this circumstance. I think the local law does require leash even in our rural area but this raises another question. "Why is my dog loose during training or hunting situatons?" Even though my dog is under control, we are technically violating the law. I have seen your posts many times and I respect your opinions. Please clarify.

yallerlab
02-05-2003, 04:24 PM
A long handled cattle prod may work, but may make the dog
respond aggressively...not likely though. If it weren't for
having everyone see a screaming writhing dog convulsing at your feet, I'd say go for the pepper spray, but like Jim said
it's big problems, retribution, law suit, bad relations with
neighbor/employee, etc.
I can't think of anything that you could do in plain sight that
wouldn't piss the irresponsible neighbors off. How much
common property line do you have? A temporary electric fence
might work, but that's more expense. On second thought,
I've had my dawg looking for a dove in a fence row and every two seconds (the fence pulse timing) I could see the skin on his back "crawl" where he was getting zapped. He just wanted the bird more than the fence hurt. I dunno, that's a tough one.

chcltlabz
02-06-2003, 04:59 AM
I think you guys are misinterpreting my suggestion. I'm not saying to rip into this dog with a slingshot, but a marble won't hurt the dog if a little care is used. I wouldn't ever use it on a dog unless the situation got extreme, but if a dog is agressive towards me or my dog, then the situation is extreme.

Also, pepper spray isn't going to leave a dog writhing in front of you in pain. A quick spray will however change his mind about his aggression towards you and your dog very quickly.

Another route to take if you have leash laws in your neighborhood: The next time the dog is in your yard unwantedly, call the pound. The dog catcher will come get the dog, and you can even have them call your neighbor to let them know that the dog has been captured (that way, it won't be put down). If they really care about their dog, they will go get him, and have to pay the fines. That should get the message across, or they'll leave the animal in the pound for adoption. Chances are, its as much the owner's fault as it is the dog, and if they don't get it taken care of, then someone or something is going to get hurt.

goose me TX
02-06-2003, 11:44 AM
I think the use of pepper spray is more likely to cause MORE aggression in this dog towards you as the dog will be able to associate it with you. I don't see a clear and easy answer to this situation. Your best bet is to try to deal with the owners again and tell them if it continues you will report the dog as vicious, that way animal control will be forced to come out and deal with the situation accordingly. Good luck.

greyghost16
02-06-2003, 02:33 PM
I understood that you didn't mean to just blast him in the face with a marble. I just know how many times my own mistakes have come back to bite me on the***. I can foresee a bad shot taking out an eye"you're gonna put your eye out with that,"or teeth or something that I wouldn't have wanted. I appreciate you trying to help,thanks. I think maybe the leash law thing is the way to go but i hate thinking that it could be turned my way and I might not get to train in my own yard any more.

yallerlab
02-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Chclt, I didn't intend to sound the way I apparently did.
Actually I think the pepper spray is the best way to make
a major and lasting impression on this dog without
unintended permanent damage ( lose an eye from
the slingshot, etc). I was trying to bear in mind that
this was gg16's employee and neighbor and that
things would be awkward, if not impossible, if she
knew that gg16 had nuked her dog with pepper spray.
I guess my smarta$$ sense of humor got away from me.
As for the dog responding aggresively after being
sprayed, I really doubt it. The real deal law enforcement
strength is awfully wicked stuff. It leaves you virtually blind from
irritation for several minutes, you'll snot yourself to death
and you'll be capable of only life support breathing for
several minutes as well. One treatment, maybe two if
it's a psycho bonehead, and that dog will run to their door
when it sees you. Doesn't work as well on psychotic
humans and crackheads, so don't train your dog near
any of them:Rich: .
Still don't have a suggestion unless it was to come after you
or your dog out of sight of the neighbors house, then spray
it.

I do feel strongly about this. My dog is 100 lbs and 3 years
going on 3 months. He thinks all dogs want to play.
There are three dogs near here that are very dog-aggressive
and Finn has a small scar on his head from one, had
stitches over one eye from another and stitches under
the same eye from the third. No damage to his eye,
but I was worried, to say the least. At various times they have
gotten loose and came down the road and into our
yard. His first instinct is to grab a stick or toy and run into them
to start a wrestling roughhousing game, which they resent
and attack him, which he is not expecting. He could easily
have lost an eye on two of those occaisions, and the vet was
worried enough to do corneal stains to check them in
those instances. GG16, it sounds like you stand an
excellent chance of being bitten yourself if you try
to break-up the fight. The only way to avoid personal
liability on your part, is to
let the authorities handle it, but like you said, you're
vulnerable to the leash law yourself.

Sorry to write a novel here, but I wanted to clear the air
with chcltlabz and share my experience.

:BM:

Quack Smacker
02-06-2003, 04:10 PM
Pepper spray the damn neighbor! just joking....I would go with the legal route. Make the neighbors aware that you intend to think of safety for you and your family...as well as others in the hood.--- AND that the issue of this other dog confronting yours puts you at unease and fear that it could escalate into a dangerous situation. I would be straight with them...tell them if it keeps up...you will have to enforce the laws in place...which could have a negative affect on all involved.

Just my 2 cents

Good luck

Q.S.

greyghost16
02-07-2003, 03:54 AM
Thanks guys

Nevada Jim
02-07-2003, 10:14 AM
GG ... I'm sorry that my tounge-in-cheek attempt at humor wasn't clear. Put the collar on the neighbor's dawg, and when it comes towards your dawg and yard ... "train it" to stop with a high 5!

Discuss it with the neighbor in advance just as you would with an incessantly barking dawg and your offering to supply a bark collar.

What would you be doing if ths situation involved the same set of circumstances except the dawg was charging your CHILDREN?

Tim Williams
02-13-2003, 09:07 AM
GG,
What about offering to help (labor only) putting up a chain link fence? Doesn't have to be very large, just enough to let their dog out & get some exercise.

Please let us know the outcome of this situation.

greyghost16
02-14-2003, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the input Tim. These neighbors live two doors west of me and only have about ten feet between them and the next neighbor toward us. There's about two hundred feet of property line between us and the in-between house. The owners of the dog have a bit of yard in the back but have put a gazebo in there as well as a mounded septic system. The area planning commission has granted variances to the set back rules around the lake because they see dollar signs in jamming as many people around the lake as possible. I think there would be problems with a fence in such close quarters. I really appreciate all you guys trying to help. If I come up with something that works I will let you know. Just as a side note, my neighbor on the other side has two attack trained monster dobies that are held in by an electric fence only so I already spent $3500.00 on fencing to keep the dogs apart on that side. Looks like I don't live in the country anymore.

Littman
03-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Can't you just spray the neighbors dog with the garden hose repeatedly? Couple this action with the "NO" command, he might catch on. Most dogs hate that if the water is cold enough..............PC 0.2c

DUCKSBANE
03-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Pete,
Cool avatar!!:TT: Next you will have him doing the JIG.:Wt

Brett Neffendorf
03-03-2003, 08:55 PM
Jim how in the world are you suppose to go put a shock collar on someone elses dog... That would cause a huge problem.... Maybe even some violent neighboors. And do you think its smart to go over to a dog you cant control and dont know and dont know how its gonna act when you try to get near it? It doesnt work trust me... I have been attacked by 2 dogs before. Got bit in the ANAS and in the snipped at but not bit the other time. Its not fun.

So I dont get how in the world you would go and put a shock collar on someone elses dog?

Maybe if ya hit the dog with the pepper spray, BB gun, marbles, sling shot, rocks, paintball guns etcc..... then you could get it on... but how else when the dog is wild?:HUH: BS: :LM: :LOL:

Brett Neffendorf
03-04-2003, 10:50 AM
I was just joking with ya jim, just giving you a hard time for thinking about puting a collar on another dog... but if the neighboor lets you it mightr be a good Idea

Tim Williams
03-06-2003, 08:24 AM
GG,

What's the latest update on your problem? I would be interested to know if you solved the problem.

greyghost16
03-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Tim, It has been very cold and snowy here so There haven't been as many problems but no, I don't have a solution. I am almost leaning back in the direction of something like a bb gun. I'm really lost on this one but gotta do something. My dog is confrontational with other males too but I don't let him get in those situations. It's pretty irritating when someone just ignores a problem like this.

Tim Williams
04-29-2003, 01:32 PM
GG,

Any solution to your problem? Just curious.

greyghost16
04-29-2003, 03:03 PM
No good solution yet. I'm probably going to have to get more serious and that doesn't come easy for me. Thanks for asking.

Flipper
05-02-2003, 02:28 PM
Hey GG, you want I should bring this to the lake with me this summer? I have been practicing saying "What dog?"without laughing. :Rich: I had to deal with a mean ass rooster that attacked me when I turned my back on him. Huh, he breasted out about like anything else does!
Jeff