PDA

View Full Version : Goose Pastrami

chcltlabz
02-07-2003, 05:31 AM
Several people on here have asked for this recipe, so I'm finally getting around to posting it up. This stuff is great, and tastes good sliced and eaten or sliced thin and used for lunchmeat.

Mix the following into 1/2 quart boiling water and dissolve completely: 3 Tablespoons Morton Tender-quick, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons garlic powder. Once dissolved, add 2 quarts water and stir completely.

Inject the liquid into goose breasts thoroughly (I can get 6-8 breast pieces out of one batch). Soak the goose breasts in the remaining brine for 5 days, stirring every 2 days. Ensure the meat is covered in brine, or add more water. If you don't have an injector, then soak the meat for 10 days.

After 5 (or 10) days, rinse the goose breasts and soak in clean water for 2 hours. Remove meat and pat dry. Season outside of meat with equal parts pepper and ground coriander. (2 teaspoons of each is usually enough, but coat them on both sides).

Place in oven on 150 for 1 hour, or until dry. Then increase temperature to 215 for another 3-5 hours, or until the internal temperature of the meat is 175.

It sounds complicated, but its really not. It takes several days to make, but only about 20 minutes of work total.

DUCKDIGGLER
05-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Bump....gonna try this one soon.:Art:

Heavy Gougin'
09-19-2006, 10:36 PM
YEAH BABY!!!! If you haven't tried this one, I would ASAP! Super easy. Works really great if you have a meat slicer and get it in really thin slices.
HG

Web Foot Killer
12-25-2006, 04:15 AM
This one is by far my favorite so far.
You have to try this recipe you will not be dissapointed!!!

DUCKDIGGLER
09-20-2009, 05:09 PM
After managing a few early season birds :TT:I thought I would add my tweaks to the original recipe so here it is fellas. I will say it seems like a lot of work but is not at all difficult....the results speak for themselves!

Give it a try and if you gusy have any questions....please let me know.

My recipe:

Goose Breast Pastrami

Preparation Time: 7-10 days (I normally go at least 8 days)
Cooking Time: 3-5 hours

Servings: 4-6 pounds

Cure Ingredients:
4-6 whole goose breast (8-12 sides), 4-6 lbs
5 tablespoons Morton® Tender Quick® mix
¼ cup sugar
3 tablespoon black peppercorns (whole)
3 whole bay leaves
3 tablespoons garlic powder
½ quart water
2 quarts cold water

Preparations
Trim surface fat and any silver-skin. Bring all (except cold water) of above ingredients to a quick boil, turn to a low simmer for approx. 15 minutes. Add 2 qts. cold water and stir.
Inject all goose breasts completely with brine. Cover goose breasts with remaining brine solution in covered plastic container. Place in refrigerator for 7-10 days.

Dry Rub
5 Tablespoons kosher salt
4 Tablespoons Paprika
3 Tablespoons coriander seeds
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
5 Tablespoons black peppercorns
2 Tablespoons yellow mustards seeds
3 Tablespoons garlic powder
Mix all above ingredients in a food processor to a course grind. I use a coffee bean grinder I have for spices only. Remove breasts from brine and pat dry. Apply dry rub generously to exterior of the goose breasts.

Cooking
I now place my pastramis in my Jensen Smoker with 2 pans of alder chips and smoke for 2-3 hours. This step is optional but I think it adds a lot of depth to the flavor. You can skip and go to the next step.

Place in oven on 180 for 1 hour or until dry (you can skip drying part if you smoked them). Then increase temp to 215 for another 3-5 hours, or until internal temp reaches 175.

Slice thin and enjoy on rye bread with onion, a good yellow mustard and baby Swiss. Or slice thin and serve as a finger food.

By far the BEST way I have ever tasted goose!

Here are a few pics of the end of the process.....dry rubbing, smoking and finished product.........yummmmm!!

Dry Rub applied....

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l232/DUCKDIGGLER/PIST001.jpg

Smoker stacked and ready to go.....

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l232/DUCKDIGGLER/PIST002.jpg

I used Hickory chips this time...apple, alder, maple and pecan all work well......

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l232/DUCKDIGGLER/PIST006.jpg

Smoking under way.....

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l232/DUCKDIGGLER/PIST005.jpg

The finished product......

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l232/DUCKDIGGLER/PIST008.jpg

Cut-um
09-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Damn Diggy, you're making me hungry!!!:CL: Looks awesome and I'll have to give it a try this year...:TT:

skb20
09-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Damn Diggy, you're making me hungry!!!:CL: Looks awesome and I'll have to give it a try this year...:TT:

So..... I suppose you will need me to send you some goose breasts?? :OUCH:

OK, guys, that looks like some pretty good munchin'. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

DUCKDIGGLER
09-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Rich....it truly is killer!

I made a sammich the other day....sliced it thin....warmed some butter in a frying pan.....added pastrami....just to warm....placed Swiss cheese on top of the meat in the pan....splashed a tablespoon of water in the pan....quickly topped with a lid.....it melted the cheese to perfection.....took that heap of goodness out and placed on some lightly toasted rye bread...topped with sauteed onions and a spicy brown mustard.....OH MY GOD!!:eek:

Joe.....you will love it if you dig pastrami!:TT:

Cut-um
09-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Rich....it truly is killer!

I made a sammich the other day....sliced it thin....warmed some butter in a frying pan.....added pastrami....just to warm....placed Swiss cheese on top of the meat in the pan....splashed a tablespoon of water in the pan....quickly topped with a lid.....it melted the cheese to perfection.....took that heap of goodness out and placed on some lightly toasted rye bread...topped with sauteed onions and a spicy brown mustard.....OH MY GOD!!:eek:

Todd, now you've gone to far buddy, just rub it in you Yankee sumbitch!!!:CL:

Cut-um
09-24-2009, 09:29 PM
So..... I suppose you will need me to send you some goose breasts?? :OUCH:

Joe, I never turn down goose breast. Do you have my current mailing address???:hest:

skb20
09-24-2009, 11:11 PM
I'll give you a shout if I manage to actually kill one this year!! :D

Actually -- forest grouse hunting is looking so good here this year -- with some hopeful early signs on hun populations as well, and even a few pheasants around -- that I may not get quite as much early goose hunting in as normal. Gotta try and get the skinny rat dog some encouragement to pursue prey of the upland variety.

Cut-um
09-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks Joe, keep me posted...:TT:

banded
09-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Wow! this looks great!!! I type this with a yap full of goose jerky lol!!!! one more thing to try and hopefully another fav........one thing where can I get Mortens tender quick in Ontario I have not been able to track it down yet??
thanks Jonathan

chcltlabz
09-23-2010, 04:46 AM
I get the tenderquick in a grocery store that has lots of canning supplies. Its usually around the kosher salt and pickling salt.

If not, you can always order it online. I bought 5 bags of it the last time I found it thinking I'd never find it again, but now I see it all the time. Good thing it doesn't go bad.

banded
09-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey Chcltlabz thanks for the info!

mattchu_19
09-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Made a bunch last week and it was gone in about 3 days. The guys at work loved it.

DUCKDIGGLER
09-30-2010, 04:06 PM
mattchu.....you must really like the cats you work with, to spoil them with this stuff! It's like good Bourbon, I only share it with those who can truly appreciate it!

mattchu_19
09-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Diggler, I dont even share my good bourbon with my brother, but if the guys at work can help me get rid of all the birds I shoot then they can have at her.

DUCKDIGGLER
10-03-2010, 10:30 AM
I hear ya loud and clear my friend!

I am just about to crack the seal on a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel which came highly recommended....we shall see!

I have been drinking Buffalo Trace and man is that stuff my new favorite....just purchased my 5th bottle this summer....man is it GOOD!

What's yer poison?

mattchu_19
10-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Buffalo Trace is one of my favorite, but it seems there is a steady stream of Knob Creek that enters and exits my liqour cabinet. Would love to try Pappy Van Winkles 23 year old, but is a little out of my price range. Me and my wife are expecting our first baby at the start of November so I might splurge and buy myself a bottle of Pappy Van Winkles for celebrating.

Crazy_Farmer
10-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I can attest to my brother not sharing his bourbon with me hahaha.

Lunch yesterday was outstanding!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/P1040655_1024x768.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/P1040659_1024x768.jpg

And you can see there was three sandwiches there but I already grabbed one and was eating it by the time I took the picture. Just with the brine and smoking is absolutely the best goose I've ever eaten. So tender and the flavour was amazing.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/P1040661_1024x768.jpg

banded
10-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Buffalo Trace! will have to keep my eyes peeled next trip to the LCBO as I have never heard tell of it before ....I am a Drambui on the rocks freek lol....oh the sound of it makes me want one lol

DUCKDIGGLER
10-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Crazy....man does that Pastrami look good and moist.....what is your secret? Are you cold smoking it? Mine never looks that good and moist! Very impressive Sir! Now please spill the beans!

OMG Buffalo Trace is a little bit of heaven (hill) Sorry Bourbon joke!

That Evan Williams Single barrel was very nice for the $30 range also...worth a try IMO.

GOOSKI
10-08-2010, 07:43 PM
DuckDiggler..

I am wondering about some sort of Instracure for the smoking process?? Isn't smoking meat without it a cause to worry about botulizim? I printed out your recipe and plan on trying it. Just want to avoid any potential problems.

Thanks in advance

banded
10-10-2010, 06:59 AM
duckdingler, ok so it is a Bourbon....I will have to give it a go! thanks again

The Baron of Bufflehead
10-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Mmmmm... Buffalo Trace (aka Buffalo Taint)..... that's some fine sippin'.:D

That goose pastrami is some outstanding food, I can assure y'all. And if you ever find a bottle of Bookers bourbon on the shelf (comes in a wooden box) you should treat yourself.

DUCKDIGGLER
10-13-2010, 06:19 PM
GOOSKI....the "TenderQuick" is a curing salt....I think that is what you are asking.

GOOSKI
10-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Got a batch marinating as we speak. I have high hopes.

DUCKDIGGLER
10-17-2010, 04:29 PM
GOOSKI....you will not be disappointed buddy! We'll await your report upon completion.

GOOSKI
10-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Well it is done. And it is awesome. Very tender, plenty of taste. Definite keeper in the routine. I did 10 breasts, however did not do the smoking part of it. The wife, 3 kids, and mother put a big dent in it and all give the thumbs up approval rating.

Thanks for the recipe.:TT: Keep the ideas coming. I remember the day when the recipes were few and my cooking results were poor. Now I really have grown to enjoy the taste.

Goose Italians are next in the rotation. Followed by DuckDigglers crookpot BBQ.

DUCKDIGGLER
10-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Awesome man! Glad you and the family enjoyed it.

You need to go the extra steps on the next batch you do...the dry rub and the smoking make it BESTTEREST!

GOOSKI
10-21-2010, 09:38 AM
I did the dry rub, but no smoking. I will try the smoking with the next batch.

banded
10-24-2010, 08:05 AM
still can't find the buffalo trace but I am going to check in a larger LCBO store in Toronto

il duckshewterzdad
01-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Just started my second batch soaking this morning. The first batch didn't last long...took some to the blind yesterday and everyone loved it! I had to fight to get enough for myself to make a sammich!

I'm going to vacuum seal a couple breasts from this batch for a later date....like maybe our annual crappie fishing trip to Mississippi in March!

The only "complaint" that I had was from my wife. She said that our house smelled like a deli when I was cooking the brine!!! Oh well, it's the best way to use goose meat that I've found yet.

I've had several of the other recipies in recent years, and plan to keep trying some of the others.

Thanks for sharing, everyone!

DUCKDIGGLER
01-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Awesome report! I can never make enough of this recipe! TOO DAMN GOOD!