PDA

View Full Version : Band and Neck Collar return

featheredfriend
02-07-2003, 08:43 AM
A number of years ago we banded some geese in this area and also put neck collars on them. Got a report back on one the other day, Banded here in Eastern Newfoundland, Terra Nova National Park during September 1993, was shot in Chezzetcook Nova Scotia January 6 2003. That bird was banded as an after hatch year female, so that bird had been through at LEAST 12 winters. THat was an old goose, must be tough eating tho! :bang:

GooseMan17
02-07-2003, 03:48 PM
That is an old goose. I bet it was real real tough. Would be nice to shoot a goose with a band and a collar on it!! :hest:
Good Huntin,
Chris

DUCKSBANE
02-07-2003, 06:55 PM
FF,
How do get those neck bands on them? Is it a battery operated heat gun of some kind? I can attest to them staying on. as I have always had to cut there heads off to remove them.
Congrats on the nice band return!
DB

featheredfriend
02-12-2003, 05:50 AM
DB
THe collars we used were cone shaped wider at the bottom than the top. Simply slid them down over the goose neck to the base and they would stay there. If they started to slide up it would be going against the feathers and have alot of resistance. Surprisingly the geese didn't bother much when we put the collars on, the most bites and scratches I got were trying to band Black Ducks... :wk: