PDA

View Full Version : shortening outlaw stakes

duckpoor
02-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Fought the frozen ground and long stakes one to many times this past season. Been drilling holes for them and then fighting them out after they freeze in. To solid for a hole punch.

Before I start hackin'... anyone have thoughts or experience.
A couple inches in this concrete that was once dirt is sure enough to keep them upright but I don't want to be replacing stakes when I realize," I screwed up again."
Tell me what you think or have done.

duckpoor
02-07-2003, 04:36 PM
BD,
I can always count on you my friend!!
Is it Monday yet?
R G

Eric VA
02-12-2003, 07:29 PM
We had the same problem here in VA this year. I don't mind using just bigfoots when the ground is frozen but I actually think that the outlaws standout more on those low vizability days.

I've asked this before and didn't get a response so I'll try again...has anyone tried a slide hammer hole punch for frozen ground? Outlaw used to have them in there catalog but I haven't seen them in there in the last couple years.

DUKGOOSHUNT247
02-12-2003, 09:50 PM
This may sound stupid but it could probably work.

DEWALT makes a Battery drill with a Hammer setting. Load up some batteries and a good masonry bit and your good to go.

I hunt um 2
02-26-2003, 12:38 PM
Have you guys ever heard of V boards. I have them and you can set your Outlaws or Real Geese on the frozen ground, on ice or even on top of the snow. They are light and hold 3 decoys on each board. The model I have are metal and fold out. They are about 3" wide and you can carry all you want in one hand. You might talk me out of some since me and my 2 freinds ordered a truck load.

:Art:

Sean Seery
02-26-2003, 02:30 PM
The slide hammer does pretty well but it can be a lot of work if you are setting out a bunch of decoys... Where it works real well is on ice...

Because the ground here in CO is usually frozen I've stopped carrying my silhouettes w/me but the thought of those v-boards may put some new life into them...

Sean

snuffy
03-18-2003, 07:26 PM
I have cut about 4 inches off of amy 11 doz outlaw stakes.

We are looking at glueing a 3/16 inch rod on them for frozen ground and ice. We had one that did that this year and 2 batteries on a 18 v drill put holes in the ground for all 10 doz dekes with battery to spare.