PDA

View Full Version : Visla's for Waterfowl

longneckslyr
02-11-2003, 02:34 PM
I have been offered a free Visla pup form a hunting buddy. He mainly uses his for Upland birds, but I have heard that they will make a decent waterfowl dog. i know they have short hair, but i mainly hunt geese over fields and he will be used for this purpose as apposed to duck hunting, and for chasing a pheasant here and there(i have a really good Britanny for upland). I don't really want a hyper dog, and have concerns this breed may be on the hyper side. If any of you can give me pro's or cons, or any advice as to whether or not he would make a good waterfowl dog, please post up. Thnx in advance.

longnecklsyr

crimsonking
02-15-2003, 05:04 AM
I have owned a few vizlas, pretty nice dogs. They are very active, but I dont know if I would call them hyper. I had a female that I trained just like a retriever. She was pretty easy to train, but I never had her pick anything up the size of a goose either.I dont know that I would pick a vizsla for the sole purpose of a goose dog. They are maid more for speed as opposed to strenght, Dont getme wrong I'm sure they could do it' but I dont know how pretty you want it to be. They are good family dogs though, good with the kids and all that. You cant really beat the price though!!!

kugohuntn
02-16-2003, 02:46 PM
I have had vizlas for the last 10 years. They are great dogs. I think they would server the purpose that you are wanting to do. Like said above, might not be the prettest retrive, but they will get it done. I currently have 3 and they all will pick up and carry them around. I dont take them goose hunting with me, but Im sure they could go. We use them as pheasant and Quil dogs. All of my dogs love the water. I wouldnt take them when it was really cold, but if it was warm, i would. They are great dogs, and I wouldnt call them hyper. They get excited to see you, then they lay down. I love my vizlas. We are actally going to have a litter here soon. Any body want to buy a pup??

Gohunt

phoneman
02-18-2003, 09:45 PM
I hunted with a guy a year ago who had a "world champion" viszla. We started at around 8 in the morning in weather around 40 degrees and no wind. By 10:00 the guy's dog was shaking from the cold like it was having a siezure(sp) this was when i had my chessie in training. Translation= get a chessie, because any weather you are still able to survive in, a chessie thinks is "just right"
just my 2 cents.
phoneman

longneckslyr
02-19-2003, 12:55 PM
Thnx for the info guys. I once had a chessie, and she was a awesome dog, would fight to the death for me, and loved cold water. I just don't want a 60-80 lb dog, I already have enough poop to scoop with the two i have. Went and looked at the pups earlier this week and they really look good. Solid Black. One of them carried a sock around in his mouth for 5 minutes, maybe he can graduate to bigger birds. i will be doing some upland hunting and am thinking one these dogs would compliment my Brittany. I have decided to get one of the Males and should get him in about a week. Let the games begin

kugohuntn
02-20-2003, 06:37 AM
The Vizsla was BLACK??????? Vizsla's are not black, a pure vizsla is a Gold, Rust color.... No other color..........

Gohuntn

longneckslyr
02-24-2003, 02:53 PM
Yeah black, It kinda freaked me out when i saw them, cuz the sire and the dam are the same color you described. Took one home Fri. eve. and have had a blast with the little bugger, he hasn't whined or even pooped in the house, did have a small peeing accident, but he loves to retrieve, gave him a pheasant wing and he carries it around for minutes at a time.

kugohuntn
02-25-2003, 12:17 PM
longneckslyr, I dont mean this in a bad way at all, and congrats on the pup. I have done some reasearch on this, and there is no such thing as a Black Vizsla. Is yours supposed to be a pure bred Vizsla. I really dont want to sound as if i am trashing you up becasue i dont mean too.

We bread our vizsla a couple of weeks ago and it would make me about fall over dead if one of them is black.

I wander if the sire of the pups is actually the male that you seen. Maybe a stanger got him a peice too???

Just wandering????

Gohuntn

longneckslyr
02-25-2003, 02:09 PM
No problem, i'm not worried about you trashing me, it is my understanding that the female is half English Pointer, and she is a little darker color than the sire. the first litter this guy had with the same two dogs were half black and half rust color. i passed on that litter cuz i didn't really know exactly what type of dog i wanted after mine was run over back in Sept. but after talking to some other people that took some of the first litter thay had nothing but good things to say about the pups, plus getting pick of the litter for free also helped. guess I should say he's 3/4 Viszla and 1/4 English pointer. The sire and dam are kenneled together in a 20X20 kennel that is 10ft tall,so it doubtful any other dog did his duty with the Dam. I am not that worried about having a full blood dog, it would be nice for breeding purposes, but he is not registered, and he has the exact same facial expressions and body disposition as the full blood male compared to the pictures i saw on the internet. He has the same disposition as described by other breeders that i researched on the net. Anyway, i love the little dude and he is going to be a heck of a dog, as i have hunted with both of his parents. The abilities he has shown me in the last few days gets me real excited for Sept to roll around. I appreciate your concern as to make sure he's not a mutt, as i may be asking for some help down the road, since you are familiar with this breed. I have trained a Chessie, Brittany, and Lab, but each was his own dog with different dispositions, and I think he will be fairly easy to train. From what i have read they do not respond to harsh treatment, and it may take him a little longer to mature, but i think the wait will be worth it, plus i hunt an average of 2-4 days per week so he will get lots of oppurtunities.

longneckslyr

kugohuntn
02-27-2003, 07:50 AM
Longneck, Good deal on the pup. I see where the black comes from now. That should be a good combination. I have nothing but praise for the breed. You are correct they dont respond well to harsh treatment. But by no means are they soft. I have been know to but a boot in one of mines ass is she aint listening. Usually it is to get her lazy ass out of bed when she already knows were not going hunting. He will steal your heart and sole. My vizslas are more personal than an other dog I have ever had. I am planning on gettin a lab here in the next few weeks so we will see how that goes.

Hows the goosin down there. My home is only about 4-5 hrs north of there. I go to school at KU so you are actually closer to my home than I am..

Good luck with the pup.

Gohuntn

longneckslyr
02-27-2003, 09:36 AM
KU, Goose huntin was really good in Nov and most of Dec, but as most of the TX boys know, we just didn't get a big push of birds later in the season. I heard through the grapvine that some of the TX panhandle guides had moved their operation up to Kansas due to the lack of decoyable birds. We still shot alot of birds but, we were hunting the same ones for a month and a half, and the little sqeakers got smart in a hurry. I guess your from the Liberal area? I have a client that has 6000 acres north of Liberal, that has never been hunted and am going to make a couple trips up there this yr for some upland hunting. Was curios as to the lay of the land(lots of crops or pastures with draws etc). Is it sandy like the area around Elkhart? I have hunted quite a bit near Elkhart, and had good sucess on quail and pheasant, but never did find any kind of waterfowl or water for that matter. Would it even be worth bringing a few doz. silos in case some honks were found. This guy mainly farms around Perryton, TX, but has the additional acreage at liberal. Theres lots of good waterfowl huntin @ Perryton when they get the rain, maybe we can hook up for a hunt next yr.

LNS