PDA

View Full Version : Duffy

Tim Williams
02-12-2003, 07:29 AM
Some of you will remember how ill Duffy my 3 yr old lab was last summer (vet, hospital & medicine bills are close to $3500.00). She has been on a daily dose of vitamin D to stabilize her calcium levels (has Primary Hyperparathyroidism) & it has been under control until recently. She suffered what I would call a seizure - severe sneezing fit, with muscle contractions & loss of mobility in her rear legs (scared the **it outta me!) all I could do was hold her until it was over. I rushed her to the vet & her heart, liver & kidneys were OK but her calcium level was dangerously low at 3.8. She had another seizure last night after playing & the vet told me that when we play that her vital organs use what calcium is in her body & her lesser muscles will go into a "seizure". The vet believes that the latest prescription was not the right strength & is causing all of her problems. I just put her on a new prescription & will test her blood Thursday. Hopefully her calcium count will start to rise. If this is the case, I will copy all of the tests & vet bills & try to get some compensation from the pharmacy. And I thought that my life would get easier after my two girls graduated from college last summer. Was I wrong!

VCHunter
02-12-2003, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the update, hope everything works out for the better for both of you.

YellowLab
02-12-2003, 07:53 AM
Hope everything works out OK Tim.

WildGooseChase
02-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Who is your vet? I know a guy in your area. I'm sure there are lots of vets in that area, but I thought I would ask.

Tim Williams
02-12-2003, 11:28 AM
Dr Stephanie Mohr is the vet in Tulsa and the vet that treated her at the OSU Vet hospital while she was in ICU twice is Dr. Kathy Elwick.

Jossie
02-12-2003, 11:29 AM
Dang Tim, you and Duff have been through alot! I figured once you got that under control that things would be good to go. Is this something that you will have to watch the rest of her life?

Jubilee
02-12-2003, 11:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles with Duffy, sounds like you two have been through a lot together. I hope she starts doin better

Jason in KC
02-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Tim, sorry to hear about Duffy! Hope everything works out.

We had a ole YLM that started having seizures at about 5 or 6(this dog was never a real good hunting dog....due to the trainers). We never did take him to the vet. He lived until he was hit by a car around the age of 13 or 14.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tim Williams
02-14-2003, 08:03 AM
Took Duffy to the vet last night to test her calcium level & she had a seizure in the truck. Not a damn thing that I could do to help her cause we were stuck in traffic. It only lasted a couple of minutes, but it seemed a lot longer. Her calcium level has gone up to 6.8 which is still low but getting better. We have to test her every 24 hrs to ensure that she doesn't go over the max & suffer kidney damage. I am going to post on the main forum seeking some help, so if you guys have any info we would appreciate it.