PDA

View Full Version : Calls for Lessers and Cacklers?

Silverbellies
02-13-2003, 07:29 AM
You guys down in the Texas plains, what do you guys blow for calls on all those lessers and cacklers? Anything special?

YellowLab
02-13-2003, 08:02 AM
Silverbellies-
You finally seeing lots of Canadas along the Platte? Talking with a buddy of mine from Wood River last night, he said the last two weeks there have been geese all over around there.

Seeing any snows yet?

Silverbellies
02-13-2003, 08:44 AM
Oh Yeah! They really started to pour into the valley on Jan. 25th. The snows never really left this fall. There must have been 20-50,000 snows bouncing from Harlan Res - Johnson - Kearney all fall. Now most of the geese are in the GI - Wood River, Kearney and Lex - Gothenburg areas. Snows all over and we can't touch them in that zone. It really bites.

longneckslyr
02-13-2003, 12:11 PM
Silverbellies, a guy that i hunt with is a distributor for Foiles and I purchased a call from him. When he ordered my SMH call he spoke with Jeff and Jeff tuned my call to match a lesser, cackler sound. My call does not have that much of a low end but it still works good on big honks. Man sure wish we had more TX guys posting here, and wish you KS boys would have sent more big birds our way this yr, looks like ya'll have been whackin the piss out of them. We still had a good season, but they sure did get smart in a hurry.

CS
02-13-2003, 02:01 PM
the best lessor call I have seen is a flag. When those things start grouping up I do not think they can even hear the call. If they will come in waves then a good ol halfbreed will fit the bill.

AllAboutH20FowL
02-13-2003, 02:55 PM
I have the Saunders I5-KLR and it is pretty sweet for the little guys.

Jac E
02-13-2003, 03:11 PM
I use a bill saunders I5 killer for tav's witch is close
to a lessor and for the cackler get a tim grounds
snow spec call $20.00 they work well that is all we
hunt over here and kill are share

Good luck Jac.

Silverbellies
02-13-2003, 03:26 PM
What does the Saunders I5-KLR blow like. With the warmer than normal winters we have been having, those little buggers make up 75% of what we see.

CS, I agree on the flagging. At the end of the year we had two guys flagging up until we called the shot and they were either landing or with in 15-50 feet. Didn't seem to flare them. But, with the bigger geese it would. Also, between the two sizes of birds, with the larger geese they wanted an open spot. The little geese would land anywhere they wanted room or no room. Anybody else scene this?

Decoyer
02-13-2003, 03:29 PM
I saw these calls advertised somewhere and saw that they were designed for use in the Texas Panhandle, so I would assume they are made for hunting lessors. What do you guys think of these calls?

goose_caller
02-14-2003, 08:22 PM
When I was working in Texas I was blowing either a Halfbreed which can double for a Speck or snow no problem, a Webfoot which is made in North Texas(blows really light and high pitch for me), a Traffic, and a Foiles Shawn Stahl around my neck. For the money the grounds in tough to beat and I would not be without it in Texas.