PDA

View Full Version : burlap decoys

hunt to hunt
02-13-2003, 09:24 AM
I have decided to burlap some herters decoys. I am useing the henrys indoor/outdoor carpet glue, as read about on here. I did one about a week ago. It is no longer tacky but doesn't seem real hard. The decoy has been in the garage, not heated. How hard will this thing get? How long does it take usually take for them to get hard? How long should I wait before I start painting them? Thanks for any input.

Jeff Miller

chcltlabz
02-13-2003, 09:55 AM
I'm in the process of doing the same thing with some decoys I made from insulating foam. I had similar results with the carpet glue. Of course, the foam I'm using is softer, so it makes a bigger difference with mine. The carpet glue takes a long time to firm up, and the longer it sits, the harder it gets. You can paint them after a day or 2, but it will get harder. It does stay kind of soft, but I don't think it will be a problem, because from what I've seen, it will be pretty hard to ding them up with the burlap on them.

You might want to try NA 2100 glue also, It gets pretty hard, because its designed for stone tiles. You can get it at Lowes or HD.

If you do get this glue, you can thin it out some and brush it on over the burlap for a second coat, and everything should be pretty indestructable.

Hope this helps.

hunt to hunt
02-13-2003, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I will head back to HD. Might as well give both ways a try.

chcltlabz
02-18-2003, 01:26 PM
I just tried to pick up some more of this glue, and they didn't have any.:CY: I hope they didn't stop carrying it. I use the indoor/outdoor carpet stuff in the interim. Its not as hard, but like I said before, you have to be pretty hard on them to ding them up, and I'm using very soft foam.

hunt to hunt
02-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Its funny you should post not finding it today. I finely went by and couldn't find it. Thought maybe I had missed part of the name or something. I was looking for the post and you put up they don't have it anymore. I stopped by HD. I will stop by Lowes sometime soon.

chcltlabz
02-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Found a solution to the NA2001 problem. Any Stone and Marble Mastic type adhesive will give you a good hard finish. Supposedly, that is what Herter's uses for theirs.