PDA

View Full Version : Snow dec's

cself02
02-15-2003, 06:17 PM
Any body got any good ideas on making snow dec's, I don't want to go out and spend thousands of dollars on the damn thing so I was thinking about making a bunch, if I could find somewhere that had 5 gallon buckets for cheep then you could make them pretty easy with a wooden head.

casey,

speck
02-15-2003, 07:23 PM
We made about 150 silo's this year out of plywood. Then we mabe some out of cartons, the rest of the spread ir rags and shells.

cself02
02-15-2003, 09:15 PM
Like milk carton's? never thought of that, how many deek's do you usually put out????

Thanks,

speck
02-15-2003, 09:43 PM
Yep, milk cartons and i think like lanudry ditergent cartons to like tide ones. We just painted them white with and black X and i think that they work pretty good. We have 400 to 650 about 300 rags and shells and mostly plywood silos and the cartons. Kalend

Bart
02-15-2003, 10:09 PM
We used to use, still do some, some easy to make stuff. The first are the five gallon type buckets cut in half length ways. Paint white and wing V - we got our buckets from the food court at the local mall. Had to wash them out but the price was right, free. The other was cutting white tyvek and stapling them in a wind sock form and putting them on a dowel. Personally I like the tyvek better than the buckets, seemed to work better and alot easier to haul around.

Jubilee
02-17-2003, 11:14 AM
I always thought the rags where a pretty cheap investment, but I have made several of the silos using 1/8 inch paneling. I thought the rags where pretty easy to deal with as far as carrying several out to the field at once. You can fit about 200 in a baseball bat bag. (That is if you are putting them together at home, but when you are taking them down after hunting.......Nothin ever fits back the way they did originally:CL: :CL: :confused: BS:

cself02
02-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Cool thanks guys for the help, looks like we may be able to round up some deeks, hopefully my unemployed brother is in the making of some silli's, I have everyone I know saving me milk jugs and laundry deturgent bottles and hopefully we will get some rags to mix in as well.

Do you guys think two electronic callers would be neccisary or is one enought????

speck
02-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Well we only use 1 e- caller and some times i call also. But it might all depend on how big your spread is. Just my .02 And where your hunting. Just my .02. Kalend

nw_bearcat
02-17-2003, 01:11 PM
I was talking to a guy on here a while back about making some silo's, then got to looking in my garage a for some stuff to make them out of, and found the perfect stuff...After the election, I took down a couple of signs that the politicians had hung on a fence. A nice 4x9 sheet of the corrugated plastic, perfect if you can get it. Also the seed signs scattered across the country might be good if you can talk a farmer out of them.

kansasgoose
02-17-2003, 01:50 PM
CSELF02

I know some guys looking to sell some rags ifin your interested in some.

James

cself02
02-17-2003, 02:17 PM
Yeah I would be interested if the price is right, are they on dowl rods already? Let me know.

twells
02-17-2003, 02:31 PM
We use mainly about 12doz. rags, a few doz. shells. We also are going to use some snow bigfoots, as well as some outlaw sillios. I think we are going to try to call for the first few trips out and see how that goes. Then we will use a E-Caller. Good Luck this spring. Casey Give me a call when you get back and let me know how you guys did. My ol'lady still wants to try to come up next weekend if everything goes right.

cself02
02-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Sounds like you just need to bring your spread and come back to IL with me this weekend :in: :in: :wak: :wak:

twells
02-17-2003, 05:07 PM
I wish. I have to go up to the pits and start getting ready for those stupid sky carps. Hey what type of goose calls do you have and use. Either PM me or reply back. Have a safe trip up.

CookedGoose
02-17-2003, 07:10 PM
Casey, I'm not gonna be able to go this weekend. Just cant afford it right now, being a poor college kid n all. Maybe later in the season like say spring break or something.. Or maybe when we could stay like 2 or 3 days instead of just 1. IL only offers a 5 day trip HL and its 29$ plus the 10$ state stamp, if u add in gas to St. L thats about 40$ per person plus food is about 100$ or so per person. If you guys make a bunch of those decoys why dont we try and go back to suicide hill? Talk to twells about that place and see if he would be interested. There are hella snow geese down there.

cself02
02-17-2003, 08:40 PM
Hey that's cool, I will kill a truck load for you. Hopefully anyway. Looks like I am going to leave early thursday now because my lab is in heat and I am going to drop her off at the studs.