PDA

View Full Version : who knows how to roast a wild goose

jimbag
02-18-2003, 10:53 AM
It sounds like everyone wants their goose to taste like beef, or hot peppers. Does anyone know how to roast a Canada goose, keep it moist, and cook it like a bird. I have tried but it turns out like shoe tongues. Please help!!

duckpoor
02-20-2003, 06:06 AM
Simple method for real goose.
Covered roaster (tight lid)
1 cup water
salt and pepper inside and out.
Place on a rack in roaster
bake at 350 for 1 hour
reduce heat to 300 for about 1hr
ck for doneness at 15 min intervals during this last hour.
Stop baking just short of 160 core temp
Goose will cont to cook a few min after removal from oven.
Remove from roaster and let stand till cool enough to carve
or as long as you can stand it.
Over cooking will make any thing Nasty.
rg

BlueDevil
08-24-2003, 08:19 AM
Hey There,

If you are roasting ducks/geese I highly recommend you pluck your bird to keep the skin on. The skin helps keep the moisture inside as it's cooking in it's own juices. I'm a big fan of roasting mine with water and onion soup mix (two packets) depending on the quality of the tap water in your area you might wanna use bottled/filtered water. I have the recipe kicking around here somewhere and I'll try and post it here sometime in the next day or so.

The trick to making geese taste good is in-the-field preparation. Sometimes we go that one extra mile for that one special goose that we want for Thanksgiving or Christmas we'll shoot the goose and moments after, cut the head off and immediately let it bleed out (I hang onto the feet and hold it upside down). Once the goose has bled out field dress it. Once you are done field dressing it start plucking it while the body is still warm (it's usually easier to do it when it's warm the feathers come off pretty good), this process helps the carcass cool off extremely fast. Now I know a lot of times it isn't possible to do this the moment you get your goose but if at all possible try and let it bleed. Anyhow good luck with your season!

badhabit
08-25-2003, 05:46 PM
You've heard of beer butt chicken, well use a foster's lager can for goose......good.

Here's the best way I know. get some "prague powder" or "insta-cure 2" the stuff they put in sausage. mix up alittle and be careful not to use way too much. Inject the bird copiously with the mixture. Set in refrig for 24-48 hrs so the insta cure can do it's thing. I cook mine on a Big Green Egg at 280 degrees until the core temp is 145. I think goose is better med rare and much moister. I also smoke the goose while I'm cooking it. I like alder wood. Ceasar salad, french/garlic bread, fresh broccoli or green beans, a bed of wild rice and a good bottle of beer or red wine.

Some put the goose in a roasting pan with a browning bag around it, again take the bird out at 140-145 degrees core temp. The prague powder will make meat look a lot like carving a roast since it will turn the meat slightly red in color but the insta cure really does make a juicy goose.

BlueDevil
09-01-2003, 07:32 PM
Hey Jimbag,

Here is the rest of that recipe I was suppose to post a while back. Basically you take your plucked goose (thawed/unfrozen) and put it in one of those oversized roasters (w/lid). Now take one pack of onion soup mix and dump it inside the goose's belly and pour 1 or 2 cups of water in there and swoosh it around so it mixes around inside nice and good. Then take another pack of onion soup mix and pour into the bottom of the roaster. Then add another 2 cups of water (you only want to use about 4 cups of water in total). Now you cook the badboy for about 4 hours, your first 2 hours at 350 degrees and your last 2 hours at 200 degrees. It's very important that you use a plucked goose for this recipe cause the skin helps seal in the goose's natural juices. It's easy to make and anyone can do it.

I have another goose recipe for slowcookers aka crockpots that's pretty good. If you're interested lemme know and I'll post that too.

P.S. that above recipe seems to work best on Canadas and Specklebellies (or use ducks if you have them too).

Scott Weinmann
09-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Hey BlueBill I would like that recipe for the goose in the crock if you dont mind.

Thanks Scott

Cut-um
09-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Scott, We have plenty of crock pot recipes here on the forum. Just set your preferences to show all posts from the beginning and they will appear.:CU:

Blue Devil, go ahead and start a new thead to post your recipe. I'd like to check it out...:TT: