PDA

View Full Version : V-BOARDS + SILOS- do you use them'

deparknutz
02-26-2003, 03:22 PM
I am just gettin started on waterfowlin' and once in on your brain I belive it's a sickness!!!! All I think about is ducks, geese, decoys, set-ups anyway.

I started carvin foamer bodies to burlap and make divers. I am finding that this stuff is expensive, decoys in general.

I have seen V boards and understand the concept, My Question is have you used them for geese on water - my basic spread is 3 doz mallys, Doz. woodies, Doz. blue bills, 1/2 doz. geese.

I would like to add more geese for cheap.

Maybe someone could share the + and - of this type of decoy

I am drawn to them because of $$$$$ and I just like makin stuff.

Thanks, Dan

duckpoor
02-27-2003, 07:43 AM
Dan ,
Orphan goose floaters are not an expensive add to your spread. Most will need some "fixin up" leakers patched , paint spruced up and some chasing around to get the bargains.
V boards have a place on frozen ground and a few other select applications.
Don't care for the look of V boarded decoys.
Too many repeating patterns for me. Geese might not mind but worries me to death.
My guess is with a "wanted " post you would have more ,cheaper than you might expect.
Good luck.
rg

Hroonk
02-28-2003, 08:32 AM
Yes, we've been using v-boards (we call them frames) in Md for geese exclusively for years...They take up less space so we can but a big rig out...Right now we're making 30 sets of frames (90 decoys plus 96 big blocks for a nice spread next year. Give me your email address and I can email some older hunting pics that show them pretty well...Look at my avatar - those are all frames.

deparknutz
02-28-2003, 09:01 AM
I would like to see some pics, thanks
dgannaway@ccfpd.org

FANATIC
02-28-2003, 12:03 PM
silly question from me.....

What is the purpose of V-boards?????

are they just so that one can make silo's float...???

I mean, I am confused, cause I can't see them being made just so one can have 3 silo's facing different angles... How easy is that to do by staking 3 silo's in the ground a 3 different angles????

What about frozen ground = do they need to be staked at all???, or will they just sit as is????? If so, I guess they are great to have for frozen ground so that silo's can still be used, without the hassle of a drill....... Just seriously curious as to what they are really marketed to do????? THANKS...

I hunt um 2
02-28-2003, 12:50 PM
The V boards I have are not really a board. They are 3 metal strips each a different length turned up on the end high high enough to use the holes in real geese or outlaws to stake them on. They spread out so you can change the shape of your spread in any form you want the decoys to take. The 3 metal strips are riveted together so you can fan them out. The metel is real light something like aluminum and about 2 or 3 inches wide. They are used on frozen ground, frozen lakes set them on top of snow etc. The real nice thing about them is the decoys will not blow over and will remain standing straight. You can move your spread without removing them from the boards. I don't think the proper name is V boards for the ones I have. I just started using them this year. A friend ordered them for me. I would not be without them.
i hunt um 2:BM:

SHOTGUN
03-05-2003, 08:41 PM
Fanatic

The V board was and still is marketed by outlaw. They are just a V with holes so you can put your sillo's into

As you know if the ground is frozen the silo ain't going in. so the V board is supposed to be the answer.

SHOTGUN

Keith McGowan
03-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Actually , Shotgun, Jim Cripe from outlaw got the idea for his v-boards when he was here on the eastern shore of maryland.

Fanatic, the idea is both to let silhouettes float and also to give 3 decoys in less than the space of one full body in the boat. The hinge in the middle allows the two back "legs" of the setup to pivot until all 3 legs are parallel.
This is what they were originally designed for, but i know many guys that have rigs that have never seen the water. they will use them in the field because they were easier to move than a mess of sillies ( pre- silhouette saver/ commercially made silhouette days) older sillies here were usually made of luan plywood and a metal stake, and were a pain to move.
here should be a link to Ian Feirs website showing what traditional v-boards look like.

http://www.partridgecreek.ca/yboards/smyserys.html

Keith