PDA

View Full Version : motion shells

bob dylan
02-26-2003, 06:28 PM
are there shells other then the hidgon stakables that will wobble and move in the wind, or do all shells do this.

Eric VA
02-26-2003, 07:35 PM
I believe that the only other "shells" that add movement like the Higdon stackables are the G&H Mirage (http://www.ghdecoys.com/mirage_full_body.htm) . The pros and cons of each were discussed in G&H Mirage VS Higdon Stackables (http://www.flocknockers.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20748) .

Pete S
03-02-2003, 08:33 AM
bob,
I made my own motion shells out of my G&H mag shells.No way in hell was going to pay the price they want for the Higdeon or G&H motion shells.Heres how I did it.
I went to a local Co that sells steel.And had them cut me some 5/16" steel rod into 18" lengths.I then ground a point on one end.I then brazed a washer 1" down so the shell wouldn't slide down.
I then threaded the end whith the washer so I could tighten the decoy to the washer so it wouldn"t pin wheel in a strong wind.
You then have to find the balance point of the decoy (using your finger works fine).Drill a hole at the balance point whith a 5/16" bit and there you have a motion shell decoy.
I mix them in whith Real Geese Pro series silos and they look and work great.
Pete S

Trigger
03-13-2003, 03:55 PM
Bob.

I have some Higdon stackables and they work great with some wind.. I didn't want to get into buying a bunch of new decoys, and Higdon's are hard to get your hands on since their plant burnt to the ground..
I originally had 3doz G&H mag shells. I just drilled some holes along the center shoulder area and then made some steel stakes similar to the Higdon stakes and there you have it.. Motion shells form mag G&H shells..

I would thing that it would work with any shell, as long as it is ballanced on the stake.. You may have to drill two holes as I found that the centry vs the feeder head offset the weight to much and they didn't look real..

Just my 2 cents.

Trigger..

bob dylan
03-13-2003, 08:49 PM
Sounds good guys
After I saw one of the whistling wing videos where they pound the piss out of geese with a spread of motion shells and full bodies, I have wanted to make my own motion shells.
So it will probably be one of the things on the to do list for this summer.