PDA

View Full Version : homemade silos

phoneman
03-01-2003, 03:32 PM
My hunting partner and me are thinking about making some silos to add to our spread. He has a pickup, so weight isn't really an issue. Here's what we are thinking.
1/4" plywood
black, white and gray matte finish paint
stakes
we figured we could make 3 different stencils, trace them, cut them out, then paint them, what do you guys think?
Any in fo would be appreciated.
thanks,
Mike

kygoose
03-01-2003, 04:49 PM
Email GQQSE he's the silo makin man.:uh:

Southern Boy
03-03-2003, 08:10 AM
MIke -

After learning as much as I could fromn the guys here, I also decided to make some homemade silo's. I haven't painted them yet but I've got them cut out with the stakes on them. I used 1/8" masonite (hardboard), it was like $4 for a 4x8 sheet. I used 9 guage wire ($7 for 175 feet) and doubled it over. I then used 18 guage wire to secure the stakes. The hardest part was cutting them out. The 9 guage wire is a little difficult to bend but you get the hang of it. They may not turn out to be any good when I start painting them but it sure has been fun working on them.

Alan

cself02
03-03-2003, 09:17 AM
I will secont the macinite, we just made 55 snow silo's out of it and it took us only three days, borrow someone's outlaws and use them to trace out some different postions, andthen you can put three sheets together put some bolts through them to hold them together and you can cut three out at a time,

the hardest part about macinite is the painting, regular house paint just soaks up in them and it won't even look like you painted them the next day so you need to use primer. We also drilled a hole in the top of each deek and put a tie wrap through it with about a 1'' loop so that we could run rope through 12 at a time or more so they are easier to transport.

I tried 1/4 plywood once but it rots easy and is heavier then hell.

Good luck,

Southern Boy
03-03-2003, 01:34 PM
self02 -

I had not even thought about primer until you mentioned it. So I went to Home Depot at lunch and asked the paint guy and his response was YES it must be primed. He also suggested a TSP wash for it as (this keeps you from having to sand it..)

DUCKDIGGLER
03-03-2003, 07:47 PM
You guys might want to check out using Luan(spelling?). It is cheap and much lighter than masonite. We used it a few years ago and made about 150 canada skinnies with it worked awesome, painting them was not a problem either. Check some out at the local home supply store, I think you'll like it much better. I was given 3 doz. masonite decoys when I started goose hunting, too damn heavy! They ended up in a dumpster.DD

DrBob
03-04-2003, 05:20 AM
i second diggler - they weigh a ton!

Southern Boy
03-04-2003, 07:25 AM
Diggler - I looked at Luan as an option. A 4x8 sheet was aright about $8. I can get 4x8 hardboard for about $4 a sheet. I might change my mind later but went with a cost decision right now. I don't have to worry about weight as I will carry them in my trailer. But thanks for the advice, as I make more of them I might change material as well.

GQQSE
03-06-2003, 07:46 AM
You might also want to consider 4mm corregated plastic sheets.... light, cheap, and you can cut out several hundred in few hours.

V BOARD
03-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Forget the plywood,been there done that. The luwan
Plywood is good but I would recommend marine grade
because it last longer.A little pricey..

As far as masonite is concerned it's a little heavy but
I made 150 of them 18yrs ago and still have them.
Been painted several times but are still real good. I
used flat iron stock as stakes and through bolted them.
As far as painting goes you do have to prime them. I
also got a cheap little air spray gun at arts and crafts
store and painted them that way,takes no time at all
to paint. Used oil based paint thins well for the air gun.

Triple BB
03-18-2003, 02:46 PM
I painted mine in no time with primer. My stakes are permanently attached with rivets. I stuck 60 - 70 in the ground in the back yard. Got my compressor out and went to town . It took longer to clean the gun and put away the equipment than to prime them. The snow geese were even faster as I only had to paint wing tips after the primer and I was done.