PDA

View Full Version : Got a really stupid question

Jubilee
03-02-2003, 12:56 PM
I guess if you are brave enough to ask it, then it is not a stupid question. A stupid question is one that is never asked, but anyway. I have my Jubilee, a Choc. F Lab that will be two in April. :Art: She is my first dog, and she is papered.

But my plan is to have her bred this off season, but I am unsure about when she will be coming in heat again. She just came in last month (Feb.) So my question is, how often do dogs come in:HUH: I have heard from several people, several different stories. One guy said every 6 monthsBS: :NO: Then I heard every two months and then every 3 months. I am confused as to when she would be comin in again so if anyone wanted to give me a little heads up on when I can start checkin her again, it would be greatly appreciated.

I want to say every 3 months, but I don't know why I am wanting to stick to that number.:Bn:

dukdog7
03-02-2003, 03:14 PM
I have a BLF 3 1/2 years and know others who have females and train females and have never heard of one going into heat more than twice a year. Generally every 6 months is the norm. Dogs however are not machines.

They will sometimes do things that may catch you off gaurd. Including their heat cycles. For instance if you have several females in a kennel at one time when one of them comes into heat they will often bring the other females in around the same time. Their cycles tend to come in together.

Weather and Seasonal changes can often time bring dogs in early or late depending on their normal cycle.

But don't take my word for it, call your vet and just ask.

P.S. Some of the other information you may have gotten could be refering to the welping period which is much shorter than heat cycles.

Chuck

NWMOhunter
03-03-2003, 10:04 PM
I would think that with your b!tch being 2 that she just had either her 3rd or 4th cycle. Mine is almost 2 1/2 and she just had her 4th cycle. I was hoping to breed her this time, but couldn't find the right stud. She didn't have her first cycle until almost a year old and now here cycles come in about September and February.

I'd say about every 6 months is about correct. If you pay attention to your dog you will see her hind end start to swell and then start to drip. Within a week or so of her coming in I start checking her and then keep her locked up tight after she stops bleeding.

FYI...most will tell you that b!tches are ready to stand about 5 to 7 days after they stop bleeding. I had a stud lined up last year and tried to get her to stand. Even after 10 days of her not bleeding she still wasn't ready to stand. The stud then had to go out of town for a field trial so I didn't even bother getting her checked at the vet. Don't get in a rush and let her tell you when she is ready.

DOGDOC
03-04-2003, 11:59 AM
I would agree with most guys here, the bitch will go into heat with an average interval of 7-8 months. I say average because there is much variation to that, some dog (breeds) can go 56 weeks, and some only 4-5 months.
Good luck with her, you dont need to start looking for a while!
Dan

Jubilee
03-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the input, for some reason I was thinking about every 3 months she came in, but like I said, I thought I had heard that somewhere.

And don't worry, I keep her locked up, I got cinder blocks buried around the bottom of her pen, and then 2X4 wiring across the top. Most of that came from my sisters old dog who should have been named Hudini, he was definetaly an excape artist up to the very end of his days. But she can't get out, which I don't think I have ever seen her try, and nothing can get in, the only thing that I would have to worry about is a dog gettin it through the fence, and I am thinking that it isn't going to happen, I got a pellet gun that seems to keep the strays away. If the damn dog catcher would do his job, there wouldn't be any strays.:OUCH: :CL: