PDA

View Full Version : Silo Slide-Hammers ?

DUCKDIGGLER
03-09-2003, 11:13 AM
Anyone ever try one of these and if so which on do you have and how does it work? Does it really work in FROZEN ground, I mean really frozen ground, not just the top 3 or 4 inches? Thanks for your thoughts! DD

FANATIC
03-09-2003, 02:07 PM
DD, what in the hell are you talking about buddy??????:cool:

DUCKDIGGLER
03-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Outlaw sells a slide-hammer used to put skinny geese in the ground. Its kind of an enclosed sledge-hammer with a spike on the end, you slide it up and down and a weight shifts and slams the spike into (they say) frozen ground! The aren't cheap so I don't want to buy one if its useless!

Eric VA
03-09-2003, 08:41 PM
DD,
Does Outlaw still sell them? I looked all through their 2002-2003 catalog and never found them. I know that I've seen them in past years catalogs. We've used their punch and hammered the top...it wasn't easy.

I would think they would work if they had enough weight (>5lbs) and enough slide (>2').

DUCKDIGGLER
03-09-2003, 08:53 PM
Eric they do make on and i believe real geese offers one on the website. I just checked the outlaw catalog it is on pg.21 item# D they call it a Hole Driver. Check it out. We get some pretty nasty frost up here pretty deep, it gets like concrete.

Pete S
03-10-2003, 07:11 PM
DD Kieth McGowan had one on the FN hunt.It worked real good until the weld on the end broke.The ground wasn't real hard .So I can't vouch for it on the concrete we get up here.I just stick whith shells and BF when the ground gets real hard.I haven't tried it.But I doubt a cordless and spade bit would work.
Pete S

DUCKDIGGLER
03-10-2003, 07:31 PM
I think that frozen concrete type ground we get would eat my DeWalt alive, not to mention the battries would be a bitch in the cold. I used to use a large metal spike and a 3 pound mallet, dosen't work so well when ya got 10 or 15 dozen skinnies to rig. I have been runnin BFs also after the frost sets but sometimes I like to run real big #s.

DrBob
03-10-2003, 08:18 PM
DD,

i think vtblackfoot and goosespirit said they use 1/2" drill and the dewault - the corkscrew looking drills that you use to pierce studs for wiring....

Maxima
03-11-2003, 07:52 AM
Todd, have you tried V-Boards on your silo's? They might be a pain in the ass to pack, but it's another alternative to the slide hammer deal. Hey, let me know on the BF heads.

Tim Williams
03-11-2003, 10:45 AM
We use a tool called an "M-pact-o" that they use to locate buried pipe lines. We ordered the 24" length w/ 3/4" pointed tip & it has worked well for us hunting western OK & Kansas. Not cheap, but IMO well worth it. Same format that you are talking about, a weight that slides down a rod.

DUCKDIGGLER
03-11-2003, 07:25 PM
Tim I have a few questions for ya. What did it cost, approx? Where can I order one? How deep does it go? ANd finally does it work on really frozen ground? I mean frozen for 3 months straight? Thanks in advance Tim! DD

guideman
03-12-2003, 10:46 AM
We hunt here in michigan in the late season and the ground is frozen. We made a slide hammer that is pretty much like the outlaw one, the biggest thing is you have to put a good sized weight on the slide part. They will punch holes in the frozen ground but after 10 or so it isnt any fun anymore. We have 2 people putting out 145 outlaws and we would be whipped by the time we were done. We made our hammer alot cheaper than you could buy one. Hope this helps.:wak: :wak: :wak:

Eric VA
03-12-2003, 01:08 PM
guideman,
Any ideas/advice on making your own? What size weight did you use?

Would you happen to have a picture that you could post?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

VTblackfoot
03-12-2003, 03:10 PM
yeah, DD - we did use a cordless drill and a 3/4" spade bit. worked good, but BRING EXTRA BATTERIES. That frozen dirt eats batteries.

don835
03-15-2003, 03:12 PM
DD...I have tried all of the above methods and the BEST way to get Silos into frozen ground is to use a small portable generator. I used a 3/4" drill and a 3/4" x 18" twist drill bit. The type of bit that electricians and linemen use. Get either a 50' or 100' extension cord and your set.
It's still a hastle to do but if you must/want to use silos in frozen ground, this method is Best. Hope this helps. Later, Murph.:Rich:

DUCKDIGGLER
03-15-2003, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys! All good suggestions!

I wish I could use freakin dynamite! That would be cool!:bang:

Flocknocker
03-19-2003, 10:51 AM
And gave that hammer to Outlaw to mass produce but they were spendy to make and ship because of the weight. There was a heavy one and a real heavy one that had a piece you could add to it for extra weight. They will out do a drill two to one plus you don't have to bend over to drill the holes. The extra heavy one will pop a hole in solid frozen mud in no time. Dry Frozen ground is a cake walk for the lighter tool.

I Don't think Outlaw makes them anymore because of the cost-profit margin thing. But I am going to make some for a couple Friends and to replace mine after 15 years of hard use. So I will put a detailed how to do it list here on the Decoy forum when I get the stuff to build mine again this spring-summer. You have to use cold rolled steel to make it hold up. But they are the cats ass.

Cliff

Triple BB
03-19-2003, 12:36 PM
I've used the following hole punch that worked well in frozen ground. It was made of heavy round bar stock about 2" or so in diameter for the body. The bottom had a 5/8" piece of sharpened round stock welded onto it. The top had a T handle welded to it. And foot pegs welded at the bottom. The whole thing was heavy, maybe 25 - 30 pounds? You could stab it into the ground or jump on it like a pogo stick. It punched holes well. If you have two guys, you can have one punching while the other walks beside you dropping decoys into the holes.

salthunter
03-24-2003, 10:03 PM
I made a slammer like triple BB
I put a piece 1/2" x 1" stock 7 inches long on the bottom of a 1 1/4 inch round stock. I put a t handle on but no foot pegs. something heavy is the key
Have someone else slam the holes in, and you put the decoys in the hole. Works great!