PDA

View Full Version : Male vs Female

GOOSKI
03-10-2003, 06:49 AM
I've always ran with Male dogs and had male dogs around the house growing up. For those who have hunted with both- what is your preference. And of coarse why. I have two black labs right now, both male. Don't have any problems with fighting or aggressive behavior. But I'm getting sick of them taking a leak on anything that is remotely standing still outside.

cself02
03-10-2003, 02:19 PM
I am a big fan of Females, mainly because they are not as stuborn and they seem to be more calm, the only thing you have to worry about is them going in heat once or twice a year, I have hunting with plenty of male dogs were you have to wait a 1/2 hour for them to quite peeing on everything, But I am mostly just bias because I have a female probably???? With a Lab you can't go wrong IMO.

JeffK-MN
03-11-2003, 06:22 AM
I will go with csel02 on the females. I also like that the females are a little smaller. Jeff

Tim Williams
03-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Females. I have had 3 black labs, 1 male & 2 females. The girls have a better temperment, don't have to mark everything in sight, less aggressive & smaller. IMO they just make a better companion.

Sandy
03-11-2003, 10:54 AM
For over 30 years I have been owned by a Lab of one sort or another. I currently have an 8 y.o. male that will be my first and only male. Nothing wrong w/him and his desire, heart, etc... He is an AWESOME retriever! But, the "posturing", peeing on everything, etc... is enough to drive ya' crazy. I have 2 other females, 4 y.o. and 11 months. They are awesome also but w/o the male stuff! Yes, they come into season annually - but if you are setup to handle it and know that you'll have down time in training or hunting it is OK. They have a "sweeter" disposition, I personally think they are easier to train and not so independent. I DO NOT want to step on anyone's toes on this subject. There are some SUPER males out there and if you look at the top FT and HT dogs, majority are males. I have hunted over some "meatdog" males that never had a day of formal training and they were awesome! But retrieveing 2000 birds annually made them that way! I l love good dog work no matter the sex, but me personally, it will be females in my kennels.

Just my $.02 worth!

BEAR CALLER
03-11-2003, 02:12 PM
I am going to sit on the other side of the boat by the looks of it. I myself have both a male and female chocolate lab. Both are hunters and field trial dogs and in most every respect they are equal. I think if I was to buy another though it would be a male. I personally feel the male has had more drive and a larger desire to please. I seem to be going against what others have said but I think each person views the quality's of a dog differently. I have seen females with tons of desire to please. I think that this is instilled in breeding as well as training. Being a companion or their aggressiveness has alot to do with the owner. My dogs are house dogs and pets. They stay in the house when I'm away and sleep in our room at night. Males will pee on things BUT the females bleed. They don't bleed for the whole heat but if I remember about 8 days. Not a big deal if they are outside dogs but inside..... You can't control the heat or the time she comes into season. My female for the last 2 years has come into heat the second week of duck hunting. I think both have their pro's and con's but myself I can live with the peeing, it's that heat thats a real pain in the bum. I'll would get a male again.

shootem
03-11-2003, 02:34 PM
I can go ether way on this, I own two males now and slightly prefer males. I have owned and trained several males and females. I do believe females are a little easier to train. But I also believe males are a little tougher and have more stamina.

Trapper77
03-14-2003, 11:03 AM
I have both a male and a female. They are two totally different creatures. Yes, my male pees on everything and can be a lot more independent than my female but he is a go getter. My female is a great dog also but when put in a head to head battle for birds my male wins everytime, he does not want to loose. My female also comes into heat around the second week in November. That puts her on the shelf for a good portion of the season. But, she is much more loving than my male. My female a better house dog, my male a better hunter.

Trapper