PDA

View Full Version : Dog Training Collars

Joshua Folkerts
03-11-2003, 11:53 AM
What are some of the good dog training collars out on the market that you think are worth their money. what are some of the things to look for when purchasing a collar and what other helpful information do you think that i need to know when purchasing one. all comments would be helpful.

T Shot
03-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Whatever you do, make sure you get one that can be turned on and off on the transmitter, and not the collar. This makes things alot easier. Also, unless you plan on doing a ton of open range upland hunting, you really shouldnt need one with a huge amount of range. I use a Sport 60 and it has a half mile range, which is more than enough for what I need. It also has an audible tone which you could use in place of a whistle if you so choose. I didnt work it into my training but have heard that a few guys use it for that. Good luck with whatever you decide.

shootem
03-11-2003, 01:19 PM
I am a big fan of Tri Tronics, great product and great service. I have owned a flyway special a Pro 100 and I now own a Pro100xl. All have given me good service.

dukdog7
03-12-2003, 12:43 PM
honkerhunter40

First off you should think about what your need is from a traninig collar. Is for hunting or will you be relying on it for training as well, and what level of training do you plan to work at?

Reason I ask that is because ther are many types of collars for many different applications. I use a Tri-Tronics Pro 500 collar for all my training. It is the most versital collar TT makes. Long range capabilities, ease of use and repair. I use a sport 50 for waterfowl hunting. It is much lighter, and smaller to handle.

All things to think about if you havent already.

As far as brands are concerned, my preference is TT but Dogtra and Inotek are both good and worth the price.

Good Luck and Good Training

Chuck Williamson

Sandy
03-13-2003, 04:01 PM
will be - make sure YOU train yourself on the proper use of a collar. I didn't many yrs. back and nearly ruined a dog! Now, I am well-versed in the proper use and what a wonderful training tool it is! Lardy has a tape out there (can I say that here?) that you need to watch if this is your first dog on a collar. As far as collars - Tri-Tronics all the way! User friendly, easily repaired, turns on & off on the control, batteries easily changed (when needed), holds a charge a long time, priced right! I use the Flyway Special and LOVE it. A collar is not a "fix all" to problems, but man do they really work!

ICDUK
03-14-2003, 07:05 PM
I would second Sandy's Flyway Special. A nice collar with alot of options.

GAChessie
03-15-2003, 06:26 PM
I have always used tri-tronics, just bought a pro-500 and couldn't be happier, had a 100 before that and had if for 8 years I think, never had a problem and still on same batteries, sold it to a buddy for 100 and it is still going strong, the new ones are much nicer. Good luck.