PDA

View Full Version : Info on wood for carving decoys

huntingmarsh
03-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Hey I just started carving decoys but I haven't found a good durable wood for it, can any of you guys help me out on finding the best wood for carving decoys????

Corey Self

Flipper
03-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Basswood is a good common wood for decoy's that you can pick up from a carving supply house. Or if you are just starting you might want to start with a roughout that already has the basic shape then you can study a pattern or some good photo's and finish the detail the way you want it and paint it. :Rich:

Brett Neffendorf
03-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Try to find a piece of MUHAGUNI..... I think thats how ya spell it lol. It is pretty flaky but its a softer wood... it is suppose to be hard from what I hear but I use it on the lathe in class and on projects and its not that hard at all! I am pretty sure you could carve with it.

yallerlab
03-16-2003, 12:27 PM
mahogany, maybe? It's pretty expensive. There
are several different species marketed as mahogany
and I've used most of them to make or veneer furniture
and it's kinda heavy for dekes. Brett's right, though it's
great to work with.

chcltlabz
03-17-2003, 06:47 AM
Are you carving them for decoration or for a working rig?

If you are going to hunt them, then my recommendation would be cork. They're a bit lighter, and they ride the water like the real thing. Nothing looks like cork riggers.

If you are making the dekes for show, I'd still recommed cork because of how easy it is to shape, or give cedar, or basswood a try.

Don't overlook simple old pine. Its soft and easy to work with, and holds up pretty well with a little preparation like laquer.

huntingmarsh
03-18-2003, 04:00 PM
yeah, I just started so i'm starting for just show but once I get good enough to do one and do another just like it i'll start with the decoys. I've been told that basswood and cork are very good for carving but would you know where I could find cork???

Thanks your guys Corey