PDA

View Full Version : carving tools

VTblackfoot
03-18-2003, 04:32 PM
what tools do you guys use for carving cork? Or for carving cedar for that matter? Interested in trying my hand at it.

Flipper
03-18-2003, 07:11 PM
I use a fordom for roughing out and work with bigger burs and sanding drums and an NSK for detail carving. I just about do all my carving with power. There are lots of pattern books and how to books and video's as well as wood and carving tools at some great supply houses if you do a search for carving supplies. If you are going to power carve then a dust collector is a must. You can build a box with a pegboard top that opens with a shelf under it to hold a couple of good furnace filters. Then find an old furnace blower and mount it in the side so it pulls down through the top and out the side. It will make your carving a lot more fun and that fine dust is not good for you at all. :Rich:

Jossie
03-19-2003, 10:58 AM
Flipper, how much noise does that furnace blower make? Can you still use it inside.......say like down in a basement?

A friend of mine has 8 of the little computer fans hooked up to a board that he use's for a dust collector. Very quite, and it seems to do a pretty good job.

VTblackfoot, I just started carving a year ago. My wife did'nt want me to spend a bunch of money on things until she was convienced I was going to stay with it. So I already had a dremel and went and bought a flex shaft for it. It sure won't move alot of wood very fast but it is a good way to get started to see if your going to enjoy it and stay with it. Not sure how much more conviencing I have to do with her but I do plan on upgrading in the near future.:Deb: :uh: :Deb:

Flipper
03-19-2003, 01:58 PM
Jossie, this works way better than the little muffin fans. I use mine inside in my shop and watch TV (oop's lost another finger) or I listen to music and the noise is not a problem. It has two 2"x20"x20" for a total surface of 20" x 40". The top is on hinges so it opens to access the filters. It also works well for airbrushing to pull the paint mist out of the air so your room doesn't get foggy. The plywood box is on caster wheels and I wired a quad recept. on the side to plug tools into and a switch to turn the fan on and off. It is a comfortable height when standing so make sure you make it the height that will work best for you. :Rich:

Jossie
05-17-2003, 10:54 PM
Flipper, just wanted to tell you "THANKS" for the idea about the furnace blower. I have a heating and air condition business just right down the street from my business and I managed to pick one up for free. Just finished building mine today and it works great!! Total cost (already had the wood) was about $9.00 and the tip of my finger. Managed to stick it in the blower while it was on......as soon as the numbness went it way.....it hurt like hell:ST: :ST: :uh: :uh:

Anyways, great idea and it saved me some money!:cool:

Flipper
05-18-2003, 05:57 AM
It also works great for airbrushing also it gets rid of your spray mist floating around.:Rich: