PDA

View Full Version : HEY DAVE

IC-GEESE
03-20-2003, 06:24 PM
Who does your air brush work on your deeks you or someone else? If you do ,where did you learn or start out.

Flipper
03-21-2003, 05:25 AM
Dave does fantastic reproduction fish and then paints them with an airbrush and then tips the scales by hand. I would say if you don't have anyone to help show you, a video would be a great help. Sorry not trying to answer for Dave, if I can be of any help let me know. :Rich:

Dave Smith
03-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Yup- I never really learned how to airbrush-paint, just bought an airbrush and started sprayin' away. Now if I run into problems, I just force FLIPPER against his will to help me and that works for me! Single-action airbrush operation is really brain-optional, double-action requires a little practice but both work fine. I have completely finished fish for competitions with only a single action airbrush and I would guess FLIPPER has, to???? by the way, FLIPPER, I am going to try to send your package on monday so let me know if you are not going to be home next week, OK? IC- check out Reasearch Mannikins for airbrushes and instructional books and videos- any others?? FLIP?

Flipper
03-21-2003, 11:13 AM
Dave, I will be home next week that will be great, let me know on the shipping. IC- there are lots of great taxidermy supply outlets and also lots of carving tool suppliers that have books and video's as well as airbrush paint and airbrush's. I think (MHO) you might want to try a double action because it will be better down the road as you get the hang of it. I always felt the single action was like a small spray can and was very limited. Dixie Art has great airbrush prices and shipping is free for 45.00 and over. They also carry lots of parts and have more of a selection than most taxidermy supply houses. It won't really make any difference what kind of video you get, you just need to see how it works. The colors don't even need to be exact because for the most part you are just shading and you can layer and blend very easily and get a lot of depth, that is very hard to do by hand. If you have any more questions let us know and we will try and come up with an answer for you. :Rich:

Dave Smith
03-21-2003, 12:46 PM
Single action like a "small spray can" - yea, that's why they work so well for us in "da hood"- bwaaahhhhhaaaaaaaaa