PDA

View Full Version : Look Ma, no clear!

Flipper
03-21-2003, 06:54 PM
I was showing a friend how to paint his Bigfoots this week and he was asking about a clearcoat and I told him I was using a gloss waterbase taxidermy paint and I would show him how to kill the gloss and not use a clear to dull the finished decoy. I just added a few drops of Lifetone Hydromist flattening concentrate ( p/n 903) to the color cup and stirred it with a toothpick. I decided to post a photo for everyone since we have talked about the dull coat or some other product to kill any shine. This decoy was painted with about 1/3 third of an ounce of paint so the cost of paint won't break you up and as you can see no clear coat is needed. So get those airbrushes out boys and start painting! :Rich:

Dave Smith
03-22-2003, 10:10 AM
Looks awesome, Jeff!!! one more important thing about Lifetone Flattening Concentrate: it settles so quickly in the bottle and has lot's of solids so you literally have to both stirr it and shake it before each use. It is great stuff.

DUCKDIGGLER
03-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Flipper that is awesome! Wish I could do that, never been talented with paint. Your spread must be KILLER, literally!

Mike Elwell
03-24-2003, 03:41 PM
FLIPPER...

can you give me a link and an item number of where to buy that?

Thanks in advance

Flipper
03-24-2003, 07:50 PM
Any taxidermy supply outlet that handles Lifetone paints should have it. I got it from WASCO. www.taxidermy.com :Rich:
The water base is HM903 it is listed with the gloss and flatteners.

Xtremefowler
04-06-2003, 03:00 PM
Flipper, This might be a dumb question but I have been debating on trying to paint some of my foots this summer and was just wanting to know if you add that flattening agent to each color you use. I remeber you said it only takes 3 colors to paint your foots like that and was just curious. Or do you just spray a coat over the entire decoy when you are done. Later and thanks :ST:

Flipper
04-06-2003, 09:52 PM
You just add a few drops to the color cup as you are painting. Shake it well first. It doesn't take much and you are not putting that much paint on either. :Rich:

Xtremefowler
04-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Thanks flipper!! Going to try and paint some this summer:Rich:

Mike Elwell
04-11-2003, 02:26 AM
HEY FLIPPER....

I know you said that you just work off the original color of the bigfoot but if you had to mix a brown color what colors would you mix and how much of each. I have had a hell of a time mixing and I have been waisting tons of paint trying to find the right mixture.

PLEASE HELP ME. Also in a 3oz paint jar how much flattener would you add?????

Flipper
04-11-2003, 07:31 AM
Mike it sounds like you are trying to make it like painting by numbers. What I was trying to say by using the bigfoot base, you can shade that without a total cover up. Try not to think in black and white, you are able to go beyond that with a bazzillion shades in between. The paint colors that I listed were what I used right out of the bottle, no mixing. But if you needed a darker brown you could add a few drops of black to it. The exact color is not that important because you are only putting enough on to get the SHADE that you need. If the color is mixed a little dark then you would not need to use as much. I will try and explain it better if you are not sure what I am talking about or I might even be able to show some step by step photo's. As for the flattener I would not try and mix it in to much paint because it will settle and not work. That is why I just put a few drops in my color cup. If you are using a 3 OZ. jar on your airbrush I would bet you are hosing on way to much paint. What airbrush are you using? What needle and seat? I was doing this with a detail airbrush, you might be using to open of a needle and seat. Well I better get to work, let me know if I can help any more!:Rich:

Mike Elwell
04-11-2003, 10:36 AM
I am not filling the paint jar that is just what I have for it. I have a badger 150. I am new to airbrushing so when you say seat I dont know what you mean. I am using a med. needle and that is all I have. I may need to order a fine needle.

I have been having a hell of a time with the airbrush clogging up. How do you properly clean an aibrush when you are done with it. I took it out the second time after cleaning it how you said in your post and the air wouldnt even come through it. I had to run paint thinner through it to get it to work and then it still kept clogging up.

Your help is appreciated!

Flipper
04-11-2003, 12:57 PM
What kind of paint are you using? It sounds like you are using to thick of paint and not enough are pressure. You need at least 40 to 45 psi. to let it clean itself and a compressor that can give that pressure all the time. Try thinning a water base paint with rubbing alcohol until it will flow, this works as a retarder to keep the paint from drying in the tip so bad as well. I use alcohol as a thinner for water base but if you really get it plugged you might need to run some lacquer thinner through it. The reason that I recommended the Iwata was because it is cheap and it performs very well with a little thicker pigment because it has a steaper angle on the needle and seat so it does not clog as easy and will paint from hairline to 1 inch. But you can hold it farther away to shade bigger areas. Let me know if I answered your question, if not I will try again. The paint should be like milk to start with. You can also run into problems with a paint that has to thick of pigment or it is not ground fine enough to pass through an airbrush. So IMHO, stay with airbrush paint and not craft or house paint. :Rich:

Mike Elwell
04-11-2003, 01:39 PM
I am using the same paint as you said to use. I am not watering it down because when I do that it looks really watery. My air compressor is fine but when I turn it up it blows the paint all over and when I turn it down the paint clumps up. How much alcohol are you using vs. paint?

I think my problem is that I need a finer tip on the airbrush. I have to hold the airbrush too close to the decoy to be able to get a small enough line with the brush. I think if I had a finer tip I could get back far enough to do what you are talking about.

Mike Elwell
04-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Also the reason that I need a good brown color is because the guy I bought my dekes from repainted them himself and the color sucks. I bought them with the intent to repaint them.

The problem is that I cant mix a color that I like and this paint is going to get expensive if I have to keep dumping it out.

I am thinking about buying the eclipse airbrush.

Mike Elwell
04-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Well I ordered everything in your other post from dixie. I also ordered a fine head assembly and needle for my badger. I need two brushes anyways so my bud and I can paint all the dekes together.

Flipper
04-11-2003, 07:52 PM
I have a squirt bottle with the alcohol in it and I put a little in the airbrush color cup and then spray some to make sure its clean. Then when the alcohol is about out of the color cup I fill the cup up about 1/2 way with paint, then I put a squirt of alcohol in the cup but try not to go over 3/4 full and try it. If you need a darker brown add a couple drops of black to your color cup and stir it with a toothpick or just swirl it around real easy to mix it. With a double action airbrush you need to practice on a piece of cardboard before you go to a decoy. It should be set with the trigger forward when you push the button down and you hold it up to the cardboard you should have all the air and NO paint. Then with the trigger down you pull it back and you should see paint, the farther you pull the trigger back the more paint. Now is where control comes in, you will learn to get just enough paint to shade what you want without to much paint. Practice making thin lines with the tip close to your work and stop and start the paint. Practice shading a feather shape, you will learn to control it even if the paint is thin. If your getting paint with the trigger forward then loosen the jamnut that holds the needle inside the handle and push the needle to the front and hold it against the seat while you tighten the nut and replace the handle. :Rich: Don't give up you will get it!