PDA

View Full Version : Training PUPS

honker slayer
03-22-2003, 10:48 AM
Which is easier to train male or female pups?:Rich:

huntingmarsh
03-22-2003, 02:28 PM
I've been told that females are easier than males because their more calm and their not always sniffin around trying to mark their territory. I just got a female friday and she is doing great!!! Hope this helps you.

Corey

shootem
03-23-2003, 08:15 PM
As a general rule of thumb females are easier to train. I have seen it go ether way in training. Myself I prefer males to hunt with.

winny
03-24-2003, 04:31 AM
I would say females, but an a big fan of males because they have a little more size, desire, and intensity.

dukdog7
03-24-2003, 08:56 AM
In my experience I have seen that the females seem to be better suited for training espicially at an early age. males tend to mature slowly (my wife likes to point out) and I agree with huntingmarsh that they are constantly marking. not to mention when you have a female in season at the kennel the boys tend to loose the ability to think at all. But in defense of the males they do tend to hunt very hard and not tire as quickly as smaller females. More energy and drive. But I personally have two females so take it for what it is worth.

Chuck Williamson

BEAR CALLER
03-24-2003, 04:48 PM
honker slayer, I wouldn't let the sex of the dog deter you from buying what you want. Both sex's have their pro's and con's when it comes to training. I have a male lab and as stated they seem to like to do a little marking. In my experience this really never started till after I was well on my way training him. He was a year and a half I believe when he started really sniffing around. When it came to the training of him, I made it clear that the bird or retrieving dummy came in first. A little finger pointing here and there at him and they get the idea the bird came back first before he pissed. If you have went to a field trial, those dogs don't stop to mark. It can be done. I personally believe this idea that people have of males constantly marking is blown out of perportion. When it comes to training, let them know what is exceptible and what isn't.

My .02 cents