PDA

View Full Version : hail call to dogdoc

phoneman
03-26-2003, 04:08 PM
hey dogdoc,
my chessie is going to training this sunday and he has to get a couple shots. One for heartworm, one for kennel cough(bordatella) and one for bacteria(giardia)sp. Anyway, my vet says he has never heard of giardia, is there a more common substitute that I can use. Let me know.
Thanks,
phoneman

DOGDOC
03-29-2003, 06:42 AM
phoneman,
Are you refering to the testiing for giardia(protozoan parasite)? More commonly you test for giardia if you suspect parasite infection, and then treat ..... not prevent.

If you vaccinate for bordetella at this late stage you must use intranasal vaccination as the injectable takes 5 to 7 days to take effect. With intranasal they claim immediate mucousal immunity.

Good luck with training........DOGDOC

GunDog Doc
04-01-2003, 06:58 PM
I'm pretty certain there is a giardia vaccine on the market now(Ft. Dodge see link) I have no experience with it as my understanding was its efficacy left a little to be desired. I think it's mostly used by high volume breeders, trainers and boarders.

Giardia is more widely known as beaver bowels and can affect humans as well, never saw a case while practicing in MN, but it's my understanding they have it here in SD, we'll have to see what warmer weather brings.

Joe
link to vax info (http://www.wyeth.com/products/ahp_products/ahp_giardiavax.asp )

DOGDOC
04-03-2003, 06:04 AM
I have seen several cases of "beaver bowels, AKA: Beaver Fever" in this area (infact, i tested 2 positive cases in pups last week), i agree that VERY few vaccinate for it. It is not the hardest problem to clean up, and there are much more important diseases to protect against in my opinion, unless you are in an area that is really endemic for it.

goose me TX
04-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Here in Texas we have a high incidence of Giardia. In most cases dogs show no signs of it, however some dogs seem sensitive to it. We have the Giardia vaccine but rarely use it. It is pretty much only used in dogs who have recurrences Giardia. Giardia is naturally found in most water supplys here in the south but like I said in most cases its harmless.