PDA

View Full Version : when to take em home

Jeff Lewis
03-29-2003, 03:48 PM
I've picked out my litter and the pup. Some say that the pups can be taken home at 6 weeks, others say it shouldn't be before 8 weeks.

Any science behind the debate?
Thanks

BEAR CALLER
03-29-2003, 05:15 PM
theprof, I'm not sure if things are the same here in Canada as in the US but most vets here will not inoculate the pups until their 6th week. They feel that before this is too early. Also, you introduce puppy food to them at 3-3 1/2 so some breeders like to ensure that the pups are eatting well because they might not take to the puppy food right away so the eight week mark is given. IMHO there is no reason why you can't take the pup after 6 weeks as long as it's eatting fine. It's just a breeder thing.

fast-talkr
03-29-2003, 07:02 PM
Thank you for the answer to that question bear-caller. I guess my new pup will be coming home in 2 weeks. My three daughters and I are getting pretty excited. New baby coming home, never had a little pup before. Should be a few long nights.

shootem
03-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Usually it is felt that the magic day is #49. Most breeders consider six weeks too early.

dukdog7
03-31-2003, 10:18 AM
I agree with shootem. 7 weeks is what I like. No sooner and no later. Just My Opinion.

Chuck Williamson

huntingmarsh
03-31-2003, 04:49 PM
Some breeders won't let you have a pup before its 6 weeks and that to early I think, I like to get mine on or a few days before its 7 weeks because thats when it can start learning comands. I just got my pup last friday at 6 weeks and 4 days and its now about 8 weeks and shes learned how to sit and other comands. thats just my 2 cents. Good luck on your new pup, they'll put a smile on you face everytime you see em.

Corey

Sandy
04-01-2003, 12:13 PM
Years back, when I was in college, I got the opportunity to read some research on Labs and this question. I'll try to explain it best as I can remember it. On the 49th day there is "something" that clicks in the brain of the pup. If you leave it w/the litter it will develop "dog tendencies" but if you take it out and keep it w/humans it develops tendencies that make it bond more w/you and easier to train. Now, all that said - I've never seen follow up research on this but the original papers I read made an impression on me. Its the 49th day or not at all for me. Just my $.02 worth! Good luck w/the new pup!

DOGDOC
04-03-2003, 01:32 PM
In my opinion the best time is 7-8 weeks. I think before that is too early. Many breeders want them to go in 6 weeks for reason that i do not think really help the pup. Vaccination also plays a role, the puppy will not benefit much from any vaccination prior to 8 weeks due to its immature immune system (thats another thread in itself).
Anyway, i see lots of pups at 6 weeks and they are fine (it is not leagal to let pups go until 8 weeks in some states).
Good luck with the pup, enjoy !
Dan

BBogey
04-20-2003, 08:41 AM
I would agree with 7 weeks. I got my last dog at 9 weeks, and unless handled right, I believe that is too late. You have to do some socialization with the people and pups if you're going to keep them 9 weeks before placing them, and it was obvious this was NOT done with my pup. First lab I've ever had that didn't take to people very well. Even today she is pretty "people shy" at times??? Her brother out of the same litter is about 20 times worse than her and he was taken about 5 days after her...He does NOT want to be around anyone, unless he's hunting, then he could care less...

huntercgr
04-25-2003, 09:00 PM
Not being too knowledgable in this area, I picked my pup up at 4 1/2 weeks. I couldn't be happier with the way she has turned out.

So what inherent problems would normally exist with this situation?