PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Kennel Questions???

AL-IA
04-03-2003, 07:55 PM
Im in the process of buying an outdoor dog kennel for my yellow lab that is 6' wide and 15' long and 6 feet height, with door. My question is 1. What are my other options (materials) to use instead of concrete for the floor of the kennel..Any ideas?? I would want something that you could clean up after the dog fairly easy. Thanks AL-IA

goosegrease
04-04-2003, 08:58 PM
AL-IA,
Here's what I did until i could get a concrete pad layed.
My dogs kennel is a 5X10 footer.
I built a floor out of green treated lumber and decking, using a 3/4" spacing in between the decking planks.
Underneath the decked floor I made 2" tall boxes so to speak that i lined with marlite, they set in between the 2x4 runners. It is easy to keep clean and wash up only takes a few minutes.
I talked with my vet before I built it and he didnt think there would be any problems as far as worms, parasites etc... as long as it is kept clean and disinfected on a regular basis.
Total i probably only spent $120.00 on it.

goose me TX
04-06-2003, 07:10 PM
I've seen a lot of kennels lined with peagravel. Easy to clean up and disinfect. Costwise its not bad either.

Just my 2 cents!

YellowLab
04-07-2003, 09:17 AM
I've got heavy duty rubber mats that are used inside custom horse trailers. They are about 3/4" thick and come in 5X7 foot pieces. They are very heavy and tough.

chris m
04-10-2003, 08:10 PM
I bought a buch of those 2foot by 2 foot conrete slabs they sell at menards. I dug out the lawn then put sand down, then the slabs.

AL-IA
04-13-2003, 08:00 AM
Thanks Guys for the ideas.. I went to the local Menards and bought some of those 2by2 concrete blocks and I used Chris M's..idea... worked very well and the cost was low, Thanks for the responses..AL-IA